S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

new clutch problem...(long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new clutch problem...(long)

ok i smoked my clutch about a month ago, noticed that there was only 1.5 qts of tranny fluid in the tranny. Drove it light thinking the clutch was glazed, until i stepped on it once and now the clutch feel is way soft, in fact now it takes the clutch to be pressed down all the way into the firewall to start the car. Ok here is the question.....i have the heritage warranty (which doesnt cover the clutch assembly) but i dont think the problem on my car is only the clutch, there has to be something else......anyone else ever ran into a problem like this? also has anyone ever got their clutch or tranny fixed through heritage? I STFA and thinking of either spec 2 with lw flywheel or spec 3 with my stock....any suggestions? I just got my car a month ago and already getting hit with some problems.........thx
Old 11-05-2003, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

could be it needs to be bled - did you add fluid to the correct level on the tranny?
Old 11-05-2003, 06:34 AM

Default Re: could be it needs to be bled - did you add fluid to the correct level on the tranny?

i added 1.5 qts of redline when i first found the problem.......
Old 11-05-2003, 07:11 AM

Default Tranny fluid has NO effect on clutch feel or operation.

You say you have to push the clutch all the way down to start the car. That is not necessarily a clutch problem. How far do you have to push it down to release the clutch, i.e. allow the shifter to be put in any gear without grinding while the car is sitting still?

Sounds like air in the clutch cylinder. Have you checked the brake fluid level? The clutch shares the reservoir with the brakes.

Jim
Old 11-05-2003, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I remember your question from a few weeks ago and I answered it then.(m)

Like Jim De Arras said, the tranny fluid has no effect on the clutch feel or opperation. They are seperate systems. The clutch is actuated by a hydraulic system which consits of a master cylinder and a slave cylinder. The slave cylinder opperates levers to dissengage your clutch. If you have to push the pedal all the way to the floor to engage a gear, you probably just need to bleed the system. This system shares a reservoir (no pressure) with the brake system. Check the fluid in the reservoir, should be to the full line (yellow cap towards the back of the engine bay) if not top it off with Brake Fluid Dot 4. Take the car to a shop and they can bleed the system which is just like bleeding brakes if you know how that works. Good Luck and don't worry about the tranny fluid you put in the tranny.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Tangent: Would better tranny fluid help prevent clutch glazing when launching at the 1/4 mile strip?
Old 11-05-2003, 03:47 PM

Default Re: I remember your question from a few weeks ago and I answered it then.(m)

ok but shifting gears is still the normal engagement point....only when starting the car do i have to push it all the way in........also if i have to bleed it, will the brakes feel mushy too? where is the bleeder for the tranny? thx
Old 11-05-2003, 04:20 PM

Only if your current tranny fluid was pathetic and making drag on the gears turning.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Some answers

The clutch has a switch on it that requires the clutch be all the way down before the car starts. That way if the car is gear it won't jump. When you start it, try turning the key without pressing the clutch in, A message displays on the dash that says something like "depress clutch pedal before starting" Nothing you can do about that, it is a safety thing. The brakes won't necsessarly be mushy either, remember, there is a brake master cylinder and pistons as one system and a clutch master cylinder and slave, so there are two pressure systems sharing one reservoir. The clutch slave cylinder should be located on the side of the bell housing and their should be a bleeder visible. I am not sure which side the bell housing but you can't miss it. The procedure would be the same as bleeding brakes, crack the bleeder and have someone else pump the clutch and make sure the reservoir has fluid. Make sure the car is on jackstands before you get under it. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So no effect on clutch grip on the pressure plate?

Quick Reply: new clutch problem...(long)