S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Okay.. I have never really noticed how high my s4 is.. It's like 5 fingers!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Okay.. I have never really noticed how high my s4 is.. It's like 5 fingers!

So.. I think it's time. I don't track this car, Not that I won't ever. An autox here and there and hopefully a track event with donutz one of these days. (selling my motorcycle due to the baby, can't take all my fun)..

So I need a good sound suspension. Don't think I need the coilovers. I was happy with my Eibach, Koni yellow for my Eclipse.. Was looking @ waiting for the Bilsteins to come PPS9's, some say the Motorola cup intrax is nice (not sure how I feel about progressive)..

Also with the wife and soon to be boy, can't be too stiff, but I want it to drop quite a bit and I want it to stay flat, but I don't want to hit my head on the roof every time I hit a large bump. The suspension should do it's job..

The Stasis although a coilover sound nice, but too heavy on the pocketbook. And since I'm not diehard track junky with this car, not sure it's necessary.

So Norcal again need to get together and try the various suspensions! Also would like positive and negative feedback on your setup.

Thanks
Tory
Old 04-24-2002, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is that like measuring a horse in "hands"? :D

If you're not concerned about tracking the car, go with just a set of springs. That'll get you the look you want, cost you less, and keep that smooth ride.
Old 04-24-2002, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Kind of :) Nice that you kept that clean :).. Don't believe in springs and stock shocks..

So a combo would be nice. Ideal would be able to tune in some oversteer when needed as well (thus adjustable shocks).. Rear full hard, fronts mid soft, and here we go!!!

When you coming to the Bay Pat? Also you see your boys friend Steve Christenson in Baco at all?
Old 04-24-2002, 05:17 PM
Elder Member

Coilovers + 19 mm rear sway bar.
Old 04-24-2002, 05:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I've read that swapping just springs tends to wear down the shocks rapidly.

Is this true or are there a set of lowering springs with the same spring rates as stock units that would work with the stock shocks?
Old 04-24-2002, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's a clean day because I'm off my game ;)

You don't want to kick down the cash for double adjustable Koni's do you? Cause that'd be a rockin' setup, but expensive. Just get some nice springs that take the car down about 4 fingers and be done with it. (wish they made springs like that for women)

I don't remember Steve Christenson. What does he do again? I'll be up North for the Seca ALMS race this year.
Old 04-24-2002, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, they make those: your stock springs + hacksaw = stock spring rate - 2" (4 fingers)
Old 04-24-2002, 05:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, I've seen those types driving around town...a bit too bouncy for my taste.
Old 04-24-2002, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, but check out dA nEgat1vE kAmb3r DawG3!!!
Old 04-24-2002, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Coilovers are used to allow one to corner balance and change suspension geometry

I don't need that. I don't need that. But I do need to be able to tune it a bit. I know from past experience how a nice set of shocks can really allow one to change the cars spirit. That is what I'm looking for.

So a spring shock combo is probably the best bet, but which set.

Also maybe I'm wrong? But I also see coilovers more of a pain to keep up, I don't want unnecessary squeaks etc coming from the suspension and I think that a coilover (with the smaller springs) are more inclined to squeak and make funny noises, then just a spring sitting on a shock perch. Maybe I'm off base, that is why I'm posting

Quick Reply: Okay.. I have never really noticed how high my s4 is.. It's like 5 fingers!