S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

probably a dumb question, but for anyone who has done a BBK upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i will, but first im gonna go around Brooklyn this week and try to make this work...

i have the connections to the right people and it shouldnt cost me much to fabricate a one off, at least ill say i tried if it doesnt work out and then ill throw more money at stoptech...
ill keep anyone interested posted
Old 01-15-2006, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i'm hoping to do a bbk upgrade soon myself...

are you happy with your 355's? What pads are you running?
Old 01-15-2006, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default hawk hps, but they have a little of a numb feeling like on Porsche big reds..

but over all, the 355's are awesome and even overkill, but with asp's kit they will come in handy and even without that much power its always good to have some braking power to spare
Old 01-15-2006, 05:34 PM

Default it is not that you can't make it work, but your stoptech 355 kit is not expecting an HP2 caliper ...

on the rear wheels

for street driving i'm sure you can get it to "work"

your bias will be way off and your ABS module if/when it has to do it's stuff will not work properly - your rears will lock up first - if this is a serious situation you will not want this to happen

under 95% of your daily driving this will not matter - since this isn't a bank breaker if you can test out the following situation it will demonstrate how your new kit will work - go to an empty parking lot and get up to 60mph and begin taking a turn and then hit the brakes - if your rears lock up first you will spin bigtime - if the fronts lock up first your EPS might save you

I run ECS Tuning's oversized rear rotors with Stoptech 332 up fronts - I do run more aggressive pads in the front than in the rear to keep bias from getting out of wack

see the link below for the rear brake kit I'm running

Stasis also makes an upgraded rear kit for the S4

the ECS and Stasis rear kits are cheaper solutions than the 4 caliper big brake systems and in my opinion are just as good, even under track conditions as the rears never get hot enough to need more than a slightly upgraded rear rotor

but what do I know, call Stoptech and they will tell your the stock rear calipers are more than fine<ul><li><a href="http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?make=Audi&amp;engine=2.7T&amp;mod el=B5%20S4&amp;submodel=&amp;category=Braking&amp; subcategory=ECS%20Stage%201R">http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?make=Audi&amp;
Old 01-15-2006, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default thanks for taking the time to explain that....

you mentioned you run pads with more bite on the fronts...what pads are you using up front?
Old 01-15-2006, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

also, forgot to mention, i like the setup you use for the rears
Old 01-15-2006, 06:14 PM

Default depends if the setup is street or track ...

my most recent track setup was:

front = performance friction 01 front
rear = performance friction 97 rear

have also run

front = pagid orange
rear = pagid blue or axxis ultimate

street
front = axxis ultimate
rear = stock

call stoptech - they know their stuff and they are an excellent source of "free" information

also, as you do more and more track days you realize the knife edge you walk on in terms of braking under conditions where you are closer to the limit of traction - i.e. if you are not travelling in a straight line on a track and you are driving at over 85% of the car's limits of traction - if you have to hit the brakes you are going to spin

I drove home today from 2 hours north of NYC and we saw way over 20 cars in ditches off the sides of the roads - in virtually ever circumstance it was just after the crest of a hill - if you drive too fast for your comfort over the top of the hill on icy conditions and you lift off the throttle because you think it is appropriate to slow down you will spin - on the track this is called lift overstear and is somewhat similar, but not the same, as too much rear bias - the end result is the same - the rear of the car comes around - my wife asked my why I was in 3rd gear at 5000rpms going over the tops of hills - the answer is you want to be on the gas when you need traction - if you lift off the gas, or your rear brakes lock up before your fronts, you are fvcked if you are approaching the limits of traction - under "most" daily driving conditions everything I have said is irrelevant
Old 01-15-2006, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i hear exactly what your saying....

its throttle control, i.e. on a fwd car which people say you cant throw the tail out without e braking is wrong, in a turn if you lift off the throttle the tail will come out...
or even on motorcycles, you clutch in middle of a turn, you fall
Old 01-15-2006, 06:55 PM

Default i was going to mention bikes but you clearly understand - no way would you clutch / rear brake ...

at 90% traction going around a corner - most normal people never get to 90% traction but for those who have, and do it regularly, you absolutely know that smooth inputs are necessary for control - brake of shift in the wrong spot and bad things are going to happen
Old 01-15-2006, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I take that back upon second though - i agree

Quick Reply: probably a dumb question, but for anyone who has done a BBK upgrade