S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Reliability of Triptronic vs Reliability of Manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by complacentsee
Na Klar! Das Mädchen ist fantastisch für eine Partei! Aber, wie viel kostet es? Ein Tausend Rosen? Das ist ein Viertel der K04 installiert. Zu viel für mich.
Your spelling & typing is better in German than it is in English!

/Austrian - native German speaker. NO WE DO NOT HAVE ANY FVCKING KANGAROOS!
Old 06-04-2009, 11:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JW944
It would be very cost pohibative to go down the road you noted above.

Decide what you want from a car first - this will enable you to make the right choice of which car to buy for your needs (mabye not an S4).

Tiptronics are a lot of fun (over the years I have suprised many cars and one sport bike that should have been a lot faster and walked me, but they didn't - Corvette, AMG Benz, several M3's, Firebird, etc). Oh, and they can certainly be sporty.

Also remember, this is a street car. If you are buying a car for track duty, or street & track then you are honestly better off chosing another platform completely.

I have a Stg 3- with 3" DP's, Ohlins Suspension, AWE SMIC's and fully built Transmission (tiptronic) and on a continually twisty road I can more than hold my own agasint an idnentically setup S4 6spd.

However many maintenance shops and tuners won't mess with Tips because they get a greater return for their effort w/the 6spds and hey, everyone likes easy money; and, becaue very few people today are willing to work hard. JMO

Thank you for your balanced and informative reply. As you pointed out, there are other options too. I am mainly looking for a street car that can go to the occasional SCCA event. Perhaps the Trip fits this role..
Old 06-04-2009, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Graduated college a quarter early with meine FAT Deutschen skillz.

Last edited by complacentsee; 06-04-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It surley can. I will say that the tip is not terrible. And with some minor tweeks it can be much better, 300 or 400 for the TCU/TCU chipped is a good start. Recodding it to a old shift method helps alot too. Getting it built helps even more.

I will saw that the MB SL55AMG's tip makes ours look like total ****. Complete and utter ****. But than again i think that car was $120k+ so it better have been.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

You're pretty much guaranteed problems with an Auto or Manual eventually. Figure 4K+ to rebuild and upgrade a tip of half that to rebuild and upgrade a 6 speed.

Both transmissions can handle quite a bit of power once upgraded.

The tips have a torque converter issues as well as internal drum issues, all of which were addressed with upgraded parts.

The manuals have issues with the 1-2 shift collar/hub that has been addressed with upgraded parts from the factory and the clutch is a maintenance item that will ultimately need to be replaced as it hits it's wear limit.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Former Vendor

Default We have many Tip projects

most stg3 and stg3+ with near 460HP with our trans upgrades. One of our customers has 220k miles and the work was done around 140k miles.It runs great and pretty fast for a TIP (3.8FATS)

For high power,race you really just need manual to stay reliable.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So, full RS6s and GTs produce too much torque for for a fully built Tip, correct? I figure with every thing being pulled for a build it would be "easy enough" to do a 6pd conversion. (I have other motivation to do a swap anyway, I need a new drive shaft and figure that could have damaged the diffs anyway, 6pd would fix these issues and still cost less than building a tip. Plus every time I drive a manual I wish mine was for everthing besides bad rushour traffic)
Old 06-08-2009, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks to Advanced Automotion & WMS (and VAST) for a breath of fresh air re performance support for the TIP
Old 06-08-2009, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So, that is a yes? Haha, I keep reading that as thanks to Simpply running 40psi its no longer possible.

I really want a 6pd as the tip is just soooo 5 yrs ago (when I bought this car) And it would be nice not to have to spend all the money and time doing a 6pd conversion and buying all the upgraded clutch components, and then still probabaly destrying 1-2nd. Granted a built tip is still around 4-5k last time I read of anyone doing it, which was ages ago.

Last edited by complacentsee; 06-08-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=complacentsee;23801722]So, that is a yes? Haha, I keep reading that as thanks to Simpply running 40psi its no longer possible.

Not a yes and not sarcasm; a genuine thanks for making the performance effort with the TIP cars.

Quick Reply: Reliability of Triptronic vs Reliability of Manual