S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Repost (sorta): issues with ride and should have i told the dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repost (sorta): issues with ride and should have i told the dealer?

in chipped mode (i have the APR chip along with a tip chip), i accelerated from a red light and got up to about 35 when my car suddenly dropped in power and started to decelerate even as i had my foot on the gas. this happened a couple of times, so i stopped. sitting at idle, my rpms wavered from 600 to 1000. i first suspected it was my tip chip going crazy, so i switched my ECU chip to stock. no problems EXCEPT pickup much less than norm and the fact that even as i passed 60 and 70, i was stuck in 4th and not switching up (when i flipped over to tip mode to check).

i had my ride towed to the dealer. i let them know that i got the following DTCs from a VAG Tool Scan:

16684 random/multiple cylinder misfire detected
35-00--
16889 cylinder 5 misfire detected
35-00 -
17965 charge pressure control: positive deviation
35-00--

i debated whether or not to tell them about the issues i got in chipped mode. i finally decided not to tell them. so right now, i don't think they know that i have either chip.

hmmm, well, do any of y'all think that i should have told them about both chips so that they can better locate the problem or problems to fix?

or should i just let them figure out exactly what is wrong?

i asked them to check for boost leaks, as some of y'all suggested may be the problem. i also told them that coilpack was probably the problem as well.

well, let me know what y'all think. thanks.

sincerely,
eugene
Old 01-21-2003, 07:01 AM
Elder Member

Default yeah, looks like you have a leak

by that charge pressure positive deviation code...and the lack of pickup is maybe becasue car was put in "limp mode" due to that code? I dunno, thats my best guess.
about the random misfires, the "Random multiple" one happens once every so often especially at idle...the idle will drop to a point where the car feels liek it will stall...happened tome a couple times last year...
no clue as to cylinder number 5 misfire....
Old 01-21-2003, 07:11 AM

Default but what about not telling dealer about the different "symptoms" when in stock and chipped mode?

do you think i should have told them to give them more data to make a more comprehensive diagnosis?
Old 01-21-2003, 07:15 AM
Elder Member

Default well, how do you want to play it? ***EDITED***

thing is, if you tell them, they **may** decide that it is the chip's fault(and void your engine waranty!), even if it isn't. My guess is if you don't tell them, and you are still getting the same codes in stock mode...once they fix what is wrong...you should be ok once the chipped ECU is back in as well...
if it is a leak, and i think it is...it doesnt' make a difference if its stock or chipped...

also, did you return your tranny computer to stock or just your ECU chip?
also, perhaps your tip EFCU is not lettin gyou shift to 5th because it thinks there is too much torque (because it might konw the positive boost deviation...and torque is kinda proportional to boost sort of...)...kind of like the tanny hunting thing....excedpt instead of forcing it into 5th, it stays in 4th? not sure....let us know what comes of it...
to play it "safe" in terms of warranty, i would suggest not tell them unless they are cool with it...if you get it back and its running well stock, and you reinstall teh chip(s), and its funky again...contact APR and GIAC....
good luck...
Old 01-21-2003, 04:10 PM

Default Re: well, how do you want to play it? ***EDITED***

thanks for info.

i only put my ecu chip back to stock.