S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

S4 and the California Highway Patrol... this is rare indeed...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2001, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 and the California Highway Patrol... this is rare indeed...

I was traveling E. bound in moderate Sunday afternoon traffic on the 101 fwy. I like spirited sprints once in a while when traffic is clear, but am not a proponent of continuous lane changing in attempts to satisfy a "spirited driving urge." For most my 25 mile drive on the 101 yesterday, traffic was too heavy to be driving uninhibited. So, I was mellow and just followed the cars in front of me for most of my drive. About two miles before where the 101 interchanges with the 405 fwy, there is long slow sweeping right curve. As I approached this curve, traffic had cleared in front of me. Although I hadn't really been studying for CHP since I was driving so mellow, a quick look in my rear view mirror convinced me that I was clear for a short accelerated sprint. Within a few seconds I was at 100 mph when I decided to look in my rearview again and see a CHP clearly distinguished and speeding up on me. My heart sank, as I knew this was a guaranteed ticket. Surly there would be no way out of this blatant disregard for his presence and the law. I held my emergency brake handle high in the air attempting to make it look like my car was not going that fast and like it easily slowed down under its own momentum (hoping to make it look like I maxed out at maybe 80 mph). He was a good quarter mile back when I first saw him so I was hoping that maybe somehow he didn't know that I actually hit 100 mph. As I finally slowed to about 74 mph in a 65 zone, he got right on my rear bumper. My heart was pounding, here we go, a fine and traffic school again. He was so close to my bumper that I felt really uncomfortable so I signaled and pulled in the lane to the right of me thinking for sure he would be right there with his red lights on. But instead, he then pulled up along side of me and yelled on his bull horn "SLOW DOWN!" Whewwww, was I relieved in complete and utter disbelief that I did not get pulled over. I know many of us (including me), have had a cop use their bull horn to tell you slow down, but it is very unusual for that to happen after blantantly hitting 100 mph in plain view of a CHP officer. I think I'll be driving mellow for at least a week!

Counting my lucky stars today.
Old 04-02-2001, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a CHP do that to me as well before, talking abouta sinking feeling.. I was like "uhh sorry" heh
Old 04-02-2001, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

happened to me once on the mass pike. I didnt notice the cop till he yelled at me
Old 04-02-2001, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, I looked at him and "mouthed" a big THANK YOU!

The only other vehicle around me at the time, was a van with three black women who were totally animated as they passed me, laughing and sharing my relief w/ gestures of wiping sweat from there foreheads(as in "close call"). We were all lauging and shaking our heads. I still can't believe I got away with it!!
Old 04-02-2001, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default another CHP story...

my brother was driving on 680 and came upon an accident, it was wet and a slight drizzle at the time. so he stopped to see if he could help out, then came the CHPs. one of the officers walked up to my bro's car and asked his girlfriend (sitting in the car) if they were somehow involved in the accident.

my bro's gf (retelling): "while he (officer) was talking to me, he was looking around the car. then out of nowhere:"

officer: "this is an Audi S4 isn't it? damn! I gotta get me one of these"

the officer preceded to continue to check out the car and it seemed like his mind was more on the car than the accident.
Old 04-02-2001, 01:48 PM
MKH

Default Guess its time to change the old sig eh?

Stealthy? =P
Old 04-02-2001, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

LOL
Old 04-02-2001, 01:55 PM

You're lucky he didnt think you were mouthing F*** YOU!
Old 04-02-2001, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Ha. CHP are usually pretty mellow. I know exactly where you're talking about
Old 04-02-2001, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Wow... usually pretty mellow!!??

I wish I could share your perspective. I have been pulled over by the CHP more times then I want to admit... let's just say, I've been to traffic school 12 times!

Quick Reply: S4 and the California Highway Patrol... this is rare indeed...