S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

S4 performance

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-1999, 05:01 AM
Rene Adolfo Mier

Default S4 performance

Everyone raves about the S4's acceleration, but there are other factors which are not mentioned in too much detail.
1. Just how good is the S4's handling capabilities. Is it marginally better than the A4's with sport package or considerably better?
2. Has anyone altered their suspension/wheel setup yet and if so what kind of results?
3. Did anyone notice a tendency to oversteer since 55% of the power goes to the rear wheels?
4. How good is the steering feel?
5. Is body roll a major factor?
6. What does full acceleration sound like? Is it a sport exhaust sound or what?

I am really interested in purchasing one, however I do not want a fast touring sedan, I want a fast four door sports car which stirs the soul. Please be honest with any response!
Old 10-19-1999, 05:10 AM
mrw

Default Re: S4 performance

>1. Just how good is the S4's handling capabilities. Is it marginally better than the A4's with sport package or considerably better?

I would say Somewhat better than A4 sport. Thats what I was coming from.

>2. Has anyone altered their suspension/wheel setup yet and if so what kind of results?

I bought some 17" MM Spiders from Tirerack with snow tires but have installed them yet.

>3. Did anyone notice a tendency to oversteer since 55% of the power goes to the rear wheels?

Hell Yes! I'm gonna play with tire pressure first before I do anything else to fix this.

>4. How good is the steering feel?

Kinda dead.

>5. Is body roll a major factor?

This is relative. Coming from an A4 sport it is a lot better.

>6. What does full acceleration sound like? Is it a sport exhaust sound or what?

Very throaty! Sounds great! I think it sounds better than the Boxster. Some say it sounds different from the passenger seat.
Old 10-19-1999, 05:24 AM
S4 in PA

Default Rene! Go drive an S4 and get the answers direct from your own soul...

...one person's tooth-rattling boy-racer buckboard is another's road-feel delight. For me, the S4 is a surprising and nearly perfect blend of performance and practical comfort. For you, that might be too Buick-Park-Avenue-oid. My greatest worry aftering ordering the car is that it would beat me and my family up on the crummy roads we have here. It doesn't. By the way, I'm 48. Sore old bones & plenty of tooth-rattling cars in the past.
Good luck in your quest for the Grail!
Old 10-19-1999, 05:38 AM
Another Drew

Huh, I observed alot understeer on a demo.
Old 10-19-1999, 05:45 AM
mrw

Sorry, I thought he said UNDERsteer. It totally Understeers.
Old 10-19-1999, 07:21 AM
Troy

Default Re: S4 performance vs A4

I currently own an A4 1.8TQMS and I recently had an opportunity to test drive the S4 by myself for about a 1/2 hour. I was amazed at the cars power and handling compared to the A4. I drove it on back roads and on the highway and it was like riding on a set of rails. I found the steering and handling to be very precise. The acceleration just pushes you back in the seat and the car just begs to be driven hard. I was able to reach a top speed of 110 on the highway and it felt like I was doing 60. If I could afford the car I would buy it in a nano second. The only way for you to truly asses the car is to test drive it. Everyone is going to have a different opinion
Old 12-11-1999, 10:04 PM
Steve S.

Default Hmmmm

In the US I didn't know they made 1995 S4s....I always thought they were made in 92/93/94...in 95 it became the S6...and was also sold as a 95.5 (sometimes called a 96). You in canada, or somewheres else?

Steve S.
Old 12-12-1999, 04:51 AM
BOBP

PICKEY,PICKEY..its the WHEELS I M curious about..dont need an Audi model primer!
Old 12-12-1999, 09:51 AM
Steve S.

Default Sorry...I don't know any A4 owners that have TSW EVO wheels

and I do know a few owners :-). I even checked in the Registry and did a search for the words "TSW EVO"...with no results.

Steve S.
Old 12-12-1999, 11:04 AM
Cris

Default Discontinued.

My brother wants to get them for his GTI... As far as I know... TSW has discontinued them off the list. Replaced by Revos.

Cris

Quick Reply: S4 performance