S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

S4 vs. SVT Lightning? No contest? Close? Anyone raced one? (more)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2000, 11:03 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 vs. SVT Lightning? No contest? Close? Anyone raced one? (more)

My friend keeps trying to tell me that the F-150 Lightning would beat the S4 in a race..0-60 and 1/4 mile. Is this true? Can't be...I'd hate to lose to a truck!
Old 04-16-2000, 11:08 AM

Default My friend has an F150 Lightning, My S4 is coming soon so I will post results.

I am afraid it will probably beat us off the line...I know, it sounds awful, but it's really, really fast. Both cars stock, I think the Lightning will win, but with the chip, I am almost positive the S4 will win. I dont have my S4 yet, but when I do get it, I will race my friends Lightning a couple times, and I will post results.
Old 04-16-2000, 12:07 PM

Default Depends, but SVT has weight/power advantage..

But I believe that the SVT may only come with automatic, which will probably nullify its weight/power advantage. Of course, you've also got the all-wheel drive, which will give you a decided advantage on many roads. The deciding factor, though, will likely be the transmissions.

The SVT's maximum torque is relatively large compared to its peak power. This suggests that its power comes on very strong right off idle, substantially more so than is the case with the S4. (The difference in torque and power is more revealing in this respect than is the RPM at which the torque peak occurs.) That might be nice for everyday driving, but it won't matter so much if you have a 6-speed manual transmission and you have the right touch to keep the engine turning at about 5000 RPM. If you compare ratios of weight to peak power, the SVT still has a very small advantage over the S4. That advantage will be more than wasted if he has an automatic transmission, however.

Thus, if you expect to take him, he will have to have an automatic, and you will need to have a 6-speed and know how to use the clutch to keep the engine at about 5000 RPM.

Additionally, if the road is curvy and has lots of sand and gravel like they do around here, that will of course give you an additional advantage.
Old 04-16-2000, 12:16 PM

Yeah, my friends Transmission is Auto, I am almost positive they make only Auto. My S4 is Auto too..
Old 04-16-2000, 12:56 PM

I destroyed one!!search archives(lightning) for story, its funny!!
Old 04-16-2000, 04:47 PM

Default One thing about the Lightnings is that..

getting the truck to launch right is a bit tricky. Too much pedal and the rears will smoke too easily, too little pedal and the auto will upshift too early. Catch one at a stoplight and it's all over...

Rami
Old 04-16-2000, 04:56 PM

Default Searching's a pain. Were you chipped? 6-spd? What was the road like...

I saw one of these things on the highway a while back and it was damn fast. On a good dry road with no debris, in a straight line, I would expect the Tip to lose and the 6-spd to have a very hard time of it. Of course, if the road is even a little slippery, is not straight, and you are playing dodge-the-innocent-bystanders, then of course the S4 is going to win.
Old 04-16-2000, 05:30 PM

Default GIAC chipped/exhaust/AWE intake,race wasn't even close!!!more!!!

we had about an 1/8 mile straight road i had him by quite a few car lengths-he was very surprised!!!then we came up to a bend in the road i stayed on it full throttle(about 80mph) so did he, and his back end came out bigtime!!!i thought he was going to crash(brand new silver lightning-first one ive seen-still had temp tags on it)i kept going and he turned off to clean his pants im sure, it looked scary from where i was sitting can't imagine what he felt!!!
Old 04-16-2000, 07:12 PM

Default C&D reported 5.8, 0-60 (C&D, 5.6 for the S4) Driver would determine the winner.

<p>donp - '00 S4
audizone.com
Old 04-16-2000, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Depends, but SVT has weight/power advantage..

Smoked an SVT 'tang' -couldn't keep up with me in 2nd gear-I could see his exhaust smokin but he couldn't keep up! Lost him at around 110mph-

JohnJ
00S4

Quick Reply: S4 vs. SVT Lightning? No contest? Close? Anyone raced one? (more)