S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

So just got back from the Subaru dealership. Saw both the wagon and sedan

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2001, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default So just got back from the Subaru dealership. Saw both the wagon and sedan

I went to check out the WRX today, they had them all sold, so no test drive, but I sat in them and checked them out from top to bottom)

The WRX is not bad, it really is not.. Quite tame in the interior department, but not as cheap as I thought it would look.. Plenty of headroom. The body lines are actually not that bad when you see them in person.. (headlights are okay, except I don't believe they are HID or Xenon , which sucks)..

The engine design is nice, could definately swap the turbo without pulling the motor, easy to bleed off pressure from the wastegate to gain more boost (still not sure what the car runs stock for boost).. Tranny is actually quite smooth (on the first car I sat in, the other 2 were kind of notchy).. The Engine layout as I said is nice, sits lower and farther back then normal engines, the Downpipe seems to be an easy piece to duplicate and replace.

For $24K MSRP this is one heck of a car. I'm contemplating!! I could easily buy one of these then sell it if the Lancer EVO VII makes it here (or not!)..

Exterior colors:

The platinum is clean, like it. The black is in actuality a very very dark blue, lots of deep blue metalic in the black paint, when the light hits it, you can tell it's a dark blue! Very striking.. The Wagon is cool, does look pretty sharp (I think of course the lines of the S4 are nicer, cleaner) BUT!! For 500 lbs lighter the WRX can definately be a fun track/road car..

The car is running about a 2 month delivery date, order it and it will be about 8 weeks..

Lots of options, sport suspension, sport exhaust, short shifter, BBS wheels (athough over $3000. no thanks will go aftermarket (think SSR's, more weight savings!).

I said some negative things about this car, before they came out, but after seeing the commercials and seeing them in person, it's really not that bad!! Think $24K + $5K in mods and you have a serious car.. Also since it's not a high priced vehicle, tuners will be down to earth on the prices for aftermarket parts. A few of the tuners I know already have taken delivery and are working on parts for this car!

Am I going to buy one, not sure.. Wonder what class it will be put in for SoloII, could be quite the car, light, quick..

Oh... One thing however, low torque and the turbo lag (based on specs) is quite high 4000rpm! ICK!! It would be hard to get into a car that doesn't have the torque of the S4 (one of it's strongest points), not sure if that can be handled.

Anyways, sorry to go on, but if you can get to a dealership, it's worth looking at.
I had many people walking around the S4 asking questions about it. They definately respect the S4 and have nothing but awesome things to say about it. But for half the cost, the WRX seems to be the car to get right now..

That's it. I got a new WRX brochure too.. There is a brandy color that they have on the GT that would be awesome on the WRX but is not available at this time.

Take it easy

Tory

Can someone give me the $$ to get a Porsche GT2, it' in autoweek this week, and that car just friggen rawks.. Incredible
Old 03-24-2001, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't even contemplate...

When you see the EvoVII you'll be very sorry.
Old 03-24-2001, 03:22 PM

Default I am solving most of the WRX "problems" as we speak!

I'll post some pics soon of my headlight modification(think pissed off teardrop)...I debadged the car and also painted the calipers a deep blue to match the trim and interior--looks great...I have the black wagon so i want to get some SSR comps(they have a blueish anthracite look to them),H&R springs and a bigger rear swaybar.. I live in NJ but i found a pretty cool loophole for legally Tinting the windows also...and about the 4000 rpm boost lag(i have parts on order, by mid next week that will be history)...BTW the car runs 13.5psi!
Old 03-24-2001, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

RE: headroom -- how tall are you, roughly? I forget... That's my only concern, really...
Old 03-24-2001, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

But the WRX is here *now*.. when is the EVO7 expected to be "avaliable"??
Old 03-24-2001, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

13.5PSI is stock, or your modification?
Old 03-24-2001, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Expert

I'm 5'11", but there was at least 6" of extra head room, probably more
Old 03-24-2001, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Expert

I don't want to sound like money bags, I'm not. But buy both or sell the WRX.. Hope the lancer comes
Old 03-24-2001, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default whoa, nice!! I need to check one out (being 6'4", I have barely any headroom)...

and with a helmet on, I have to sit ghetto style...

Thanks, which dealer did you go by? I was gonna swing by Carlsen Subaru (HEH!) in Redwood city soon..

-T
Old 03-24-2001, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default The documentation that I have read states it can support 14.5psi.. Mark more inside!

I'm not sure how you are going to reduce the spool up time, intake, exhaust will help, better BPV(blow off valve), but it's usually the design of the turbo that causes the lag.. Your a maniac but replacing the turbo after 50 miles? I did it in my Eclipse, but it took a year before I did it..

So you have the black, you can really see the blue huh, it's quite sharp!

Give us some insight on what your plans are.. The WRX is so cheap that it may be in my posession while I wait for the Lancer!

Tory

Quick Reply: So just got back from the Subaru dealership. Saw both the wagon and sedan