S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Suspension clunk...bad bushing maybe. Help needed with diagnosis...>

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2000, 10:07 AM
CP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension clunk...bad bushing maybe. Help needed with diagnosis...>

This has been getting progressively worse for the last month or so. I am hearing a
pronounced thud coming from the right rear corner (not saying loud b/c to some
passengers, there is no sound...but we car junkies hear things that others don't). This
is most audible when going very slowly, like pulling out of my driveway and "thunk,"
down onto the road. It gets less severe with more speed, but still occurs at
around-town speeds. I don't notice it at all on the highway...but the sound is loud
enough that it would be heard over normal road-noise.

Hearing this sound over and over again, I've put together a picture in my head of what
it sounds like is happening. When I hit a bump at 35mph, I see in my head what
"sounds" like a bad shock...the wheel hopping for a second or two. This produces a
prolonged thud from the area of the right side of the rear deck. BUT, I've got brand new
H&R Sports, Neuspeed/Bilsteins. I've checked the ENTIRE rear suspension for loose
bolts, etc., and just had it aligned last week...again(in the last month), but the thud
was still there.

So now I'm guessing that it is a bad bushing. I say this because I've ruled alot of stuff
out already. I have yet to check the interior VERY thoroughly, but from banging stuff in
the trunk and rear passenger compartment, I have found nothing loose that shouldn't
be. And nothing sounds funny when the RR corner is bounced from pushing on it.

Any ideas? It is definately in the rear of the car. 59K miles. Never in an accident. Details
of mods in signature. Help me!<p>Cy...Pearl '97 1.8TQMS, APR, Neuspeed, H&R Sport, Neuspeed/Bilstein, ATE Powerdisc, Mintex, SuperBlue, Autometer, BFG VR4, K&N, Air Box Mod, Clears, PIAA, Alpine, Red Domes and Readings, Sport Grill, Aluminum Trim FAQ, Debadged...