S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Symphony II randomly stopped working....wont turn on or light up....???

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Symphony II randomly stopped working....wont turn on or light up....???

OK, so my Symphony never had a problem until today. I got in my car and started it, turned on the lights. All dashboard lights turned on except the bose radio. It was completely black.

The unit wont even turn on.

I checked fuse 37 and the one in the rear of the unit, both are OK. I've tried wiggling the connectors unplugging/re-connecting everything and nothing happens.
Are there any more fuses?

What else could be the problem?
What can I test/How?

Hopefully somebody has something I can est to see if the unit has died or if it is a power issue. I've never had any issues with it before.

TIA
Old 02-06-2008, 04:00 PM

Default find someone with Vag-Com to scan unless you have one and pull the

radio codes
Old 02-10-2008, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

controller wont respond......can get codes. anything else i can check?
Old 01-29-2017, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Make Sure Radio Face Isn't Detached

I just had the issue with my stereo not powering up after removing it to add on a bluetooth adapter. I have a Symphony II in my 06 a4 quattro and found it unresponsive after pulling it out. Naturally I checked through all the forums I could find and tried removing/replacing the fuses and even disconnected the battery for a while in hopes that it would power back up. I spent nearly 4 hours searching for a solution trying every combination imaginable because I have the radio code for my unit and refused to go to the dealer for them to charge out the butt for a solution.

Well once I finally gave up, I started putting everything back and noticed that the face plate on my stereo wasn't flush from side to side. After pulling the unit back out to firmly press the face plate flush again power was fully restored! For my situation I knew my unit was receiving power as it was cycling through when I would pop the fuse back in, it just wouldn't turn on or show any display. Turns out that when I was pulling the unit out using the keys, once I got it un-hitched, I grabbed the unit with my hands from the top and bottom and pulled with force to get it out. Apparently I pulled with a little too much force and separated the face of the stereo from it's body and that was all it took. Long story short, be careful when using the keys to pull the unit out. I know this is an old thread, but hopefully it will help the next guy that comes across this situation.