S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Test drove Nogaro Blue 6sp S4 this evening (Impressions)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-1999, 07:47 PM
Nolan S

Default Test drove Nogaro Blue 6sp S4 this evening (Impressions)

1) Engine much quiter than I expected. Only occationally did I notice the whin of the turbo.
2) Just as I have been reading on this board, the S4 has plenty of power. When approaching a entrance ramp to a freeway I blew around a car in front of me approaching the same ramp with little effort. In cars I have owned in the past, there were times I needed (or is it wanted) that little something extra when accelerating. This car has it.
3) Six speed trans is smooth.
4) Steering was tight, much more so than my 98.5 2.8 qms. I'm sure the 17" wheels help here.
5) Interior: Fit and finish is what we have come to expect from Audi. Seats were very comfortable. I am a big fan of the red display and thought I wasn't going to like the changes to the speedo back lighting. But I found it really didn't bother me. The interior lighting is still dominated by red lighting.
As you can see I like the S4 alot (still love my A4 too). I plan on getting one late next year. Most impressed with the S4.
Nolan
98.5 A4 2.8qms
Old 09-23-1999, 08:44 PM
Peter S

Default Re: Test drove Nogaro Blue 6sp S4 this evening (Impressions)

Nolan

Have you ever driven an M-coupe? Is it similar to the S4 in terms of power and fun-to-drive?

Thanks

Peter
Old 09-24-1999, 04:18 AM
AvramD

Default I've driven an M Roadster...

The power is the same, except obviously with no lag. It gives the feel of *serious* authority when stomping at ~3k rpms.

The handling is quite similar to the S4, which is to say that the S4 *feels* more impressive b/c it looks & feels bigger. You don't "sit in" an MR, you "wear" it. It actually feels even smaller than it is. Subconciously, this gives you the feeling that it should handle better than it does, like Lotus 7 class.

Thus, the S gives more than you expect which is a pleasent surprise. The M gives less than expected, which is a disappointment.

One more thing - when launching hard: the MR's traction control is a real buzzkill. Quattro OTH, rocks. The M's shifter is way better.
Old 09-24-1999, 09:34 AM
Nolan S

Default Re: Test drove Nogaro Blue 6sp S4 this evening (Impressions)

I drove the M Roadster also recently as part of the "Race For The Cure" benefit that BMW sponsers. Yes I would say the S4 has the same pinned to the seat acceleration as the MR. The suspension and shifting is completely different though. I like MR's shifting better. It's shorter and more fun in general. The MR's suspension is more firm than the S4's (not better, just different). Remember these two autos are not competing for the same target group. I am interested in the S4. It's a sports sedan and as such is much more flexable for my lifestyle.
Nolan
98.5 2.8 A4qms