S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Are there S4 owners here that moved up from the A4 2.8? If so...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2000, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there S4 owners here that moved up from the A4 2.8? If so...

Would you be able to describe to me how different the two cars are. I know that on paper that the differences are apparent, I'm curious about the subtle (and maybe the not so subtle) things that only owners could describe.

I would very much like get an S4 and just wanted to hear some things. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2000, 07:22 AM

Default I had a 2000 2.8Q with sport package, 5 speed...

I liked the car, but never thought it was much of a performer. Suspension was kinda soft, body had lots of lean. Overall it was really a good car, just not particularly exciting. Put 15000 miles on it. Had evry single option. was a company car.

The S4 by comparison is an absolute blast. Great power, nearly the same fuel mileage. Love to get in the car every time. S4 is worth much more than the 4000 difference in price, if comparably equiped. Also, the S4 will retain more of its value than the a4.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
Old 10-04-2000, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Are there S4 owners here that moved up from the A4 2.8? If so...

I moved up from a 98.5 2.8 qtip. The cars are actually very similar to me. of course besides the obvious speed of the s4. both my 2.8 and s4 are tip so im comparing the same kinda driving style. both cars are extememly smooth/ When i decided on getting the 2.8 i felt that the 1.8 was too slow and sluggish (i wasnt considering modding the car back then). I decided to move up to the s4 because of all the updates in the exterior styling and interior. Also, if you can afford the monthly payments i dont think the difference would be that much more. I believe the price for the a4 was 35k, and the s4 was 42k, depending on your negotiation skills, you can make that difference smaller and smaller.

Also if you plan on modifying the car, the s4 is the obvious choice. When deciding to trade in the 2.8, i was also considering the supercharger, which is the only real upgrade for the 2.8, and even then the 2.8+supercharger, still equals or minimally exceeds the performance of the stock s4. if you just want a car that you will keep stock and drive like that, then go with the s4. if you want a car that you will go crazy on, get the 1.8 if you dont wanna end up spending 50k+, but if you want an awesome car to begin with go with the 2.8.
Old 10-04-2000, 07:28 AM

So you think the S4 will have a high resale value in the future?
Old 10-04-2000, 07:32 AM

Default Had an A4 2.8 Avant and S4 at the same time...Avant had a bigger trunk

Trying to seriously come up with something unique, but I can't. The Avant didn't even have the sports suspension.

The S4 -is- the A4, with higher limits (and a rougher ride.) There is no comparison in the power delivery (especially since the A4 was an auto, and the S4 is stick + APR.) Hard to believe it is the same engine. Where the A4 started to suck wind at 4000RPM, the S4 is still pulling increasingly harder.

The A4, IMHO, was more comfortable at the limit, but that probably has a lot to do with the speed you're going at either car's respective limit...if you've found the limit of the S4 (on Michelin Pilots anyway,) you better be on a track or have a lot of room to wipe out if you lose it.

The windshield wipers go over farther on the A4 than on the S4...(seriously, there is a 2.5" border on the left on my windshield, and every other S4 I have seen)

I am grasping. I'll go back to the original statement. A4 Avant had bigger trunk, S4 has higher limits. Don't underestimate the difference in those limits though...a chipped S4 is amazing. (FYI: I am a converted non-believer in chipping cars...the gains in the S4 are huge)
Old 10-04-2000, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Are there S4 owners here that moved up from the A4 2.8? If so...

I had a '96 2.8 QM. It was one of the first in the country. Loved the car. Always felt it had too much body roll and lacked power.
I traded that in for a 2001 S4. This car is a blast. Most of the A4's complaints are solved in the S4. Love the car so far. Only have 2k miles so we'll see what happens.
Anything ?'s just ask.

Tango
'01 S4 Cactus Green
Old 10-04-2000, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I did, it was a great move...

A4 99.5 2.8qms. Now 2001 S4. S4 kicks ***, definitely a great move. They are similar enough in the fact that they feel the same inside - comfortable, roomy enough, great looking and well laid out interior. But on the road it is two different ballgames. Speed power are always there in the S4, I don;t even need to down shift for most passes, but I do because its that much more fun. If you are thinking of the 2.8 and swing the S4, do it. Also, the current 2.8 will be outdated in about a year, and slow compared to the competition (330, IS300), so either (i) get the S4 and love it or (ii) wait a year and get the new A4.
Old 10-04-2000, 07:40 AM

Audi Financial Services residuals are 2% higher on the S4 vs A4Q
Old 10-04-2000, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I did...much different...it hauls butt

It is heavier...but generally goes way faster. It took me awhile to get use to turbo spool up. Car doesn't like hot humid temperatures...
Old 10-04-2000, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I had '96 2.8 12v, and '98 2.8 30v

As well as several previous Audis, all Quattros.

I bought a new one each time they came out with a more powerful engine, and the S4 is finally there. In moving from the '98 30v to the S4, I find the driving experience to be indentical, with one difference - WAY more power. Downshifts are essentially unnecessary on the freeway.

This is most noticeable on 2 lane roads, where I unfortunately spend a lot of time. Passing time to get around a semi at 70 mph has probably been cut in half from my previous car. That change alone is worth every penny of the S4's cost.

DMoore
'00 S4

Quick Reply: Are there S4 owners here that moved up from the A4 2.8? If so...