S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Today's *kill* ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2001, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Today's *kill* ...

Here's my account of todays events ... : )

I had to enter a highway from a complete stop, pulling into moving traffic from a connecting side street. It was rush hour and the flow of traffic was heavy. Since there seemed to be no end, I decided to employ those torquey little turbos and make the most of that <i>'0-60 in 5.5'</i> potential by simply picking a two car-length openning and standing on the throttle. In an instance I was at speed and merging with the other commuters. I'm sure the SUV I pulled in front of was shocked to see me leave from a standstill and make it into the 65 mph flow without incidence. &lt;me smiling&gt; It also seemed to have piqued the interest of the driver I pulled in next to ... a total redneck in an early 70's El Camino -- clearly, and audibly, "souped up" [Note the term "modded" doesn't fit that era of vehicle : )].

The El Crapino driver, in a display of American muscle car [truck] prowess, taunts me with the age-old throttle-stomp / vehicle-lurch while at cruising speed. Impressive as it was that he could break the tires loose at 65 mph, I just ignore him ... not wanting to play in traffic. Well, luck be had when we catch a red light. Approaching the intersection I was immediately in front of him. As the signal went from yellow to red, he lunged into the adjacent lane so as to line up next to me at the intersection.

Alrighty then ... school is now in session! ;-)

Lined up side-by-side, with open road free of other intersections -- and cars -- for some distance, I ready my trusty little steed; revs @4k and clutch held right at the release point. He, too, was readying his ride; holding the revs high by "power braking" with the distinct rumble of a tuned V8 under the hood and the front end raised in anticipation as the car [truck] fights itself trying to reign in all that torque.

GREEN LIGHT!

He lights them up, like we were at a drag strip, and I have nothing but traction. Still, I'm only a quarter panel ahead as I shift from 1st to 2nd. As I make that initial shift, the automatic 8-cylinder next door gains ground ... but only for that split second. By the time 2nd-to-3rd comes, his front bumper is even with my <b><i>rear</i></b>. 4th gear, and nearing triple digit speeds quickly, I'm a full car length ahead. It's more than the poor cowboy can handle and he backs off ... visibly disgusted at being beat by a station wagon -- a "<b><i>furin</i></b>" station wagon no less.

The best part, we again find ourselves side-by-side at the next intersection. Same situation ... red light, no cars ahead and plenty of road to the next signal. I prepare for tutorial #2, but cowboy bails by turning right onto the surface street. He doesn't go quietly though, lighting 'em up and kicking the *** end out in protest as he bolted with his tail between his legs. Hehehe. And I know he was turning to avoid another spanking because the street he turned onto was the driveway to a corporate campus with no outlet. &lt;big grins&gt;

I love my little blue sled. : )
Old 09-21-2001, 06:53 PM
dB
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Ride 'em cowboy!!!" Yeee-hawww!!!