S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

V1 installation.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2000, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V1 installation.

I just got my new V1 today I was wondering where is the best place to mount it and should I use the clip or the cups ??<p>Deno
Old 09-14-2000, 08:58 AM

Default Re: V1 installation.

I also got one, a good spot is with the clip on the passenger visor, you have to wedge a block under the visor since it will not be level....that gives good view to the sensors..but it is harder to see than on the dash.....i like the logic setting the best....watch out for motorcycle cops with laser... it is fast and hard to react to...
Old 09-14-2000, 09:46 AM

Default What a timely question...

I *just* finished my install on my lunch break, so it's fresh in my mind.

I clipped mine to the left side (for you left-driving folk, the right side) of the passenger visor. I have the remote display, which I put in that strip just above the radio controls and below the ESP/flashers/cup holder set. I very nearly put the remote in the very lower-left corner of the windshield, where it would be nicely hidden by my state inspection sticker. And nicely visible to the driver, too! But, I didn't like the idea of having to lurch forward to hit the button.

Hey, here's an idea: How about removing the in-dash cup holder and installing the remote display in that spot?!!
Old 09-14-2000, 09:56 AM

Default Re: V1 installation.

I have it mounted on the right side of the sun visor, next to the overhead console, driver side. Use the clip for this particular application. Also the remote display is outstanding, that way when the pucker factor (regarding your speed) is high, you eyes do not have to travel far from the road to your visor. Also this (remote display) reduces the amount of stress on your eyes trying to focus between the main unit and the highway. As far as freq reception, I have not had any issues with distance to target (radar), front or rear. I also have metallic base window tint and still have yet to see a reduction in performance. Of course these results were compared prior to having the tint applied. Enjoy
Old 09-14-2000, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default V1...

The reason why you bought the remote display was so that you didnt have to look around for the actualy v1 unit, and possible to hide the big v1 unit from other sight. I dont understand why people stick the remote unit in the cup holder or to the right or left of the steering column, its hard to see there, if i were sticking it there i wouldnt have even bothered with the remote unit at all. My remote unit is currently mounted next to the a pillar hidden to the outside partially by the state inspection stickers, and it does a nice job of it, the remote display is in plain view and always in my line of sight. i didnt like the idea of the speedo area mounting because i just plain *** dont look there that often, and when the unit beeps at me i dont want to have to take my eyes off the road just to check where the cops are.

BTW, i used the suction cups to the right of the rear view mirror, hinders the use of the passenger side sun visor, but oh well. it happens <p>_rl://nogaros4.tip.sport.premium.bose.6cd <a href="http://members.xoom.com/_rl/s4/">[ website ]</a>
mods://bbsch18":sumitomohtrz2.v1.awframes.a!grille.clears idebulbs
"100 miles an hour switchin lanes like woah"
Old 09-14-2000, 10:05 AM

Default How did you hard wire your units ?? Thanks for the info..

<p>Deno
Old 09-14-2000, 10:09 AM

Default Re: What a timely question...

Cup holder mounting sounds interesting, I'm sure that would look outstanding, but due to the size of the remote disp and the size of the cup holder, I believe you would have to do some extensive modifying. I have mine (remote disp) mounted on that strip btwn the radio and air vents, more to the left of the volume **** on the radio. This way I am able to see the display and obscure it's view from the rear by my shoulder, and just if by chance some form of authority decided to eyeball the vehicle from the rear.
Old 09-14-2000, 10:13 AM

Default i guess i'm wierd?

or maybe i've been racing too long?

if i put the remote unit in my field of view (so i can see it without taking my eyes off the road) then i've BLOCEKD some of my view. and i don't want that. granted, the unit is small, so i'm not blocking much, but i'm blocking SOMETHING.

maybe my problem is that in WA state they don't make us put any "stickers" on our windshield. so i get a nice clear view, using all my glass. i suppose if i already had part of my windshield blocked with an ANNOYING sticker, it wouldn't hurt anything to put the remote behind it, since i'd not lose any "view".

mine's in the instrument cluster. as a race car driver, you learn to "scan" your guages every once in a while. so looking down there doens't really "take my eyes off the road".<p>Sean Hester
Old 09-14-2000, 10:15 AM

Default Re: How did you hard wire your units ?? Thanks for the info..

i opened up the fuse panel, and put the hard wire thingy in there. there's LOTS of room in there.

ground wire is under one of the screws going ot the body. positive wire into one of the fuse recepticals.<p>Sean Hester
Old 09-14-2000, 10:21 AM

Default Re: i guess i'm wierd?

Not weird at all. We all have our own methods of accomplishing what we need to do. No matter what type of mechanical velocity devices we decide to pilot, there will almost always be a point in time that you must take your eyes of the direct course (unless you sport heads up display). Either way, it will depend on what you feel is the most safest and comfortable for your driving style