S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Well, don't race a Jag XJR, I got toasted...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-1999, 11:45 AM
MikeP

Default Well, don't race a Jag XJR, I got toasted...

I was behind him at the light, not expecting anything cuz it was an older gentleman. Man, was I suprised! After we pulled away from the light casually all of a sudden his exhaust just blows out and wham he's into it. I think I might have been in second gear (Tip BTW) and was a second or so before I floored it. I was unable to make up any ground, and in fact was loosing ground till we hit 100 or so. He being prudent, backed out, I caught up and went by.
Even if I had been anticipating his jump, I know I could not have kept up with him.
BTW, an XJR has 380+hp and 397ft/lbs of torque. Low 5's in the 60! 8-)

Wonder if my MTM chip will make much diff when it gets here? Maybe, but I doubt it!!!

MikeP
Old 11-29-1999, 12:04 PM
LCP

Default Geez man, we don't stand a chance against one of those w/o a great 4wd launch

...and even then, we'd better end the race before we get to the end of second gear.
Old 11-29-1999, 12:06 PM
David White

Default But, i bet it was fun seeing that car get romped on!!!

I always love to see someone get on a sweet car like the XJR...man those things are beasts!!

I was driving around the other night in my A4 and got behind an older 911 turbo with an older gentleman driving and pulled up beside him at a light and was checking out his car...we both eased away from the light and he goosed it in 1st and let off, i did the same, knowing that i didnt have a chance if we had actually raced....

But my favorite is from back in the college (pre A4) days (3 years ago)....every now and then i would see this guy driving around in a F355 convertible.....yes he was in college too, aint it a shame.... and every time i saw him in that car, he was doggin' the **** out of it....thats the sweetest sounding car i have ever heard on the street or on track!! Its amazing how many cars like that there were around campus of a very inexpensive school (n.c. state)...porsches galore, even newer turbos, nsx's, even saw a diablo around campus once with a young guy driving it!

Those were the days.... :-)

David White
98 2.8qm
Old 11-29-1999, 12:20 PM
RBOB

Another Sucker Punch..stay in our league..we have a FAST sedan,remember!
Old 11-29-1999, 12:28 PM
Tristan

The XJR is also a sedan. Rear drive four door. 8-cylinders, granted. But still a similar machine?
Old 11-29-1999, 12:40 PM
TB

Default So what can the S4 take? Accords, Maxima's, Camrys... (more)

Is that more in our league? I raced a MB C430 Coupe (4.3L V-8, 0-60 in 6.5s). We were on a highway so accelerations were from 60-100+, where it seemed the V-8 had a small advantage. It was close though. Also beaten by a Mitsubishi 3000 GT (may have been modified?) and an M3 (definite suspension mods). What "Fast" Sedans can we take in the S4? The Cobra is probably faster, so what performance cars are out there for the taking?? I want to SMOKE somebody in this car!! But I can't find the right matchup yet...
Old 11-29-1999, 12:55 PM
LCP

Default Well, if you really want to go hunting...

There's not a whole lot of fast cars out there that an S4 can take, at least not in a straight line. The S4 will be pretty even with an M3, 540i, C43, C36, CLK430, etc. The S4 can take an E430, Cadillac Eldorado/Seville, S70 T5, S80 T6, 328, Boxster, Z3 2.8, Saab 9-3/9-5, etc. As far as fast performance cars, it should run pretty even with a '99 or newer Mustang GT or Cobra and 300ZX, but will get taken by a Camaro, Firebird, Corvette, 911, RX-7 Turbo, Supra Turbo or M roadster. Looks like if we want to pick fights, we need a chip, which will put the cars that we run even with to being left behind, and the cars that we can't compete with as running even with.
Old 11-29-1999, 12:58 PM
Mark M

I thought the XJR was a supercharged six cyclinder? not sure though
Old 11-29-1999, 01:06 PM
RocketJohn

375hp Supercharged V8... standard with 18" wheels... one fast FORD!
Old 11-29-1999, 01:10 PM
LCP

In 1996, I believe, the XJR was a 336HP supercharged V6, but it was only a bit faster than the 4.0V8

Quick Reply: Well, don't race a Jag XJR, I got toasted...