S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

You guys see this one? (new california laws)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default You guys see this one? (new california laws)

New California Laws that will go into effect on 7/1/07, including increased Driving Fines
Police Departments are hurting for money and will step up efforts to enforce these changes in order to collect the fines.

1. Carpool lane violation- 1st time offense - fine will be $1068.50 starting 7/1/07 (The $271 posted on the highway will then become obsolete). Don't do it again because 2nd time the fine is going to
be double, 3rd time triple, and 4th time results in a suspended driver's license.

2. Incorrect lane change - $380. Don't cross the lane on solid lines or at intersections.

3. Block intersection - $485 Don't go through a GREEN light unless there is definitely space for you across the intersection. If it turns red and you get stuck within the intersection, even if it was green when you entered, you can be ticketed.

4. Driving on the shoulder - $450 If you are exiting a road where traffic has slowed and backed up, don't think you can cross the solid line to ride the shoulder for even ten feet to get to the exit lane. We all see people do this all the time. You can bank on there being stepped up enforcement efforts.

5. Cell phone use must be "hands free" while driving. The fine is $285. Pull off the road or use hands free headphone/microphone or bluetooth. Police will be looking for this like crazy - easy money to increase their budgets. Double fine [$570] for cell phone use in a construction zone as of 07/01/07.

6. Passengers over 18 not in their seatbelts - both passengers and driver will get tickets .

7. Speeders can only drive 3 miles above the limit without risking a ticket. The old guidelines used to be roughly 10% above the speed limit.

8. DUI now = JAIL time and it stays on your driving record for 10 years! You'll need a second mortgage for your lawyer and increased insurance premiums.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sucks man suck
Old 06-22-2007, 02:14 PM

Default nope

<ul><li><a href="http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/california.asp">http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/california.asp</a</li></ul>
Old 06-22-2007, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Saw this earlier...didn't want to belive it.

Especially "Speeders can only drive 3 miles above the limit without risking a ticket."
Old 06-22-2007, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thats f*kin stupid. I hate all this crap california is inventing for more revenue.

******wheeew just read the post below. I was about to look at housing in Brazil, haha.

Seriously, how is this going to help anything in california. The only thing this is going to do is **** off every day people like you and me while making revenue for california. Screw that, they need to find other ways of getting money. Why punish the people who drive to work, create the infastructure for CA, pay taxes and drive home.

Although most of those laws make sense, but why such the excess of fines? A thousand bucks for a carpool violation, you've got to be kidding me.

If it weren't for the beaches, snow, trees, and the diversity of CA I'd say its almost time to jump ship and move to Brazil or something haha.

Stupid california...sheesh.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

damn should have held on for another 5 minutes...haha
Old 06-22-2007, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default But nothing about drivers who

Change lanes without looking,
Cut across lanes to get into the left lane as soon as possible even when there wasn't anyone in front of them and then block people trying to pass,
Drive slowly (usually in a left lane) and only speed up when you want to go into their lane,
Make right turns so wide they end up in the outside lane and then sometimes turn back into the right lane,
Add if you wish but there's plenty of things they could go after to make more money and the streets a lot safer.
I agree with the cell phone thing though. Except the headset doesn't mean your paying enough attention to the road. Just means more sales for bluetooth but same hazard on the road.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

LOL - you've been snoped!
Old 06-22-2007, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Even though these are all fake. I'm all for raising the carpool violation fine.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I hate that s#!t

Quick Reply: You guys see this one? (new california laws)