S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Blacks & Whites

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 11:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blacks & Whites

I seem to be in the minority here in reference to my opinion on paint color choices. I much prefer Ibis white because it is brighter and a truer white compared to a darker and grayer white with Glacier White.

I 1000% prefer Brilliant Black over Phantom Black because it is deeper and richer. My feeling is if you're going to get black, you might as well get as much depth out of the paint as you can and Brilliant wins hands down here IMHO.

Both of my preferences are free compared to $500.00 choices based on 2014 pricing. However, It appears like Glacier and Phantom are greatly preferred over my picks.

Why is this so and who agrees with me? Discuss.....
Old 06-23-2013, 02:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree with you. There's nothing like a clean bright white car or a deep black that's clean in the nighttime with the lights hitting it. Only reason I didn't go brilliant black this time around is I usually have two cars, one for daily driving and the other in the garage which I drive only on nice days/weekends to avoid swirls. The S6 is going to be the first time I have one do it all car so I stayed away from the black.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

my thinking was exactly like yours when i ordered ibis white over glacier. i liked that it did not have the yellow or ivory coloring some other manufacturers have. the glacier looked ok too, but ibis was better.

my first choice for the car would have been silver, but i thought audi's shade of silver absorbed the silver accents on the car too much.

as for black, my last car was a hybrid color (BMW jerez black), and i couldn't agree with you more -- i should have got plain black/never liked the blueish tint.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

IMO Brilliant Black, while striking in its blackness, has less depth than Phantom BLack and definitely shows swirls and scratches and especially chips more. The metallic in the Phantom black is a sleeper and shows interesting hues depending upon the lighting.

At dusk, the car looks like a huge polished black pearl and it is awesome. I agree it can look a bit more bland than the brilliant black under certain lighting

Before I bought my car, I went to look at a 2011 S6 in brilliant black with only 23000 miles on it and the paint was a mess. Obviously the way you care for it has all to do with it as well, but with either black, you have to be careful.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I've had both non metallic and metallic blacks. My Porsche 996 was Bassalt Black metallic and my 997 was black (non metallic). Over time the metallic held up much better with fewer swirls and was much easier to care for. In the showroom I'd choose non over metallic but in the real world a metallic finish is easier to maintain and will look good for a longer period.