S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Budding Dealer Dilemma to the tune of $12k

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budding Dealer Dilemma to the tune of $12k

My car stalled on me at the traffic light recently while I was away on business. The car had been idling sporadically once I got in the city off the highway and was issue free on the 3 hour car ride up. I tow my car to the nearest dealer and sign the requisite diagnosis repair waiver(waiver stated $150 of diagnosis cost would go toward the repair if I employ their services). I get a call the next day saying the work would be $1000. I give a verbal approval and pick the car up the next day and was met with a repair cost of $12k. The service person said they told me the cost, I told them I didn't hear it and further who gives a person an explanation for $12k repair in under 60 seconds. The service person sticks to his/her guns and claims the correct price was indicated. I stick to mine and said I did not hear such a price. I also indicated why wouldn't sales call me to try to place me in a new 2019/2020 S6 rather than put that kind of money towards a 2013. The service person agrees with my point. The service person also agrees that the explanation he/she gave was to curt to warrant such a dollar amount. I didn't sign off on an estimate, so I never saw a hardcopy via email, text or in person at the dealership. I gave them a verbal OK for a 1000 repair with forthcoming labor.costs.

What do you guys think my next steps should be? The claim they have the call recorded, which they didn't tell me btw, nonetheless from what I recollect it puts them in an even weaker position than had they never recorded a call at all.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

What did they repair?
Old 05-11-2019, 03:01 PM
bpd
AudiWorld Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Sounds like the turbos.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That’s what I am guessing.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bpd
Sounds like the turbos.
Yup!!!
Old 05-11-2019, 08:41 PM
bpd
AudiWorld Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

In WA state, there are auto repair laws that would apply. You might want to check your State's laws. If they recorded your call, demand to hear it.

https://www.washingtonlawhelp.org/fi...repair-act.pdf
Old 05-12-2019, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If there is a recording it will decide the issue in favor of one party or the other depending on what it contains.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
If there is a recording it will decide the issue in favor of one party or the other depending on what it contains.

I think I'm good to go with the phone call, but even if I wasn't they never received my consent to a recording per New Jersey law

I found this little ditty as well

[font]Written and Oral Authorization for Work Performed[/font]

Subsection 2 of N.J.A.C. § 13:45A-26C.2 states that no repair work can begin without securing one of the following:
  1. Specific written authorization from the customer, signed by the customer, which states the nature of the repair requested or problem presented and the odometer reading of the vehicle; or
  2. If the customer’s vehicle is presented to the automotive repair dealer during other than normal working hours or by one other than the customer, oral authorization from the customer to proceed with the requested repair or problem presented, evidenced by a notation on the repair order and/or invoice of the repairs requested or problem presented, date, time, name of person granting such authorization, and the telephone number, if any, at which said person was contacted.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Since you only gave them verbal approval for $1,000, which would make the recording great for you, why are you researching law that says NJ is a two party consent state? I would think that you would love for there to be a recording.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Since you only gave them verbal approval for $1,000, which would make the recording great for you, why are you researching law that says NJ is a two party consent state? I would think that you would love for there to be a recording.
So Im still working this through Audi of America. I have requested the recording twice and my home dealership requested it once. Spoke to the service manager, who coincidentally is a pretty nice guy, and he said there was no recording. Any advice on next steps? As of today there is literally no proof that I authorized this repair.

Quick Reply: Budding Dealer Dilemma to the tune of $12k