S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Catastrophic failure of one of the turbos

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see you installed the Russian downpipes. What intake are you using?
Old 07-31-2017, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by smithbss
I see you installed the Russian downpipes. What intake are you using?
Yep I have the Russian DP's, they are great.
I asked around to see if the fact that they are catless and 3" if that might have caused overs pin, but several shops on the east coast said they have 4.0T with catless DP's, and beat the crap out of the cars on the track and never had any issues.

I have the stock S6 airbox with a drop in K&N filter.
I have heard mixed reviews about the RS6 airbox, some have said it has better flow, some have said it is the same exact box with a few holes cut in the top for sound. lol

Anyone else have any facts, data or input on this?
Old 08-03-2017, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Russjameson
Yep I have the Russian DP's, they are great.
I asked around to see if the fact that they are catless and 3" if that might have caused overs pin, but several shops on the east coast said they have 4.0T with catless DP's, and beat the crap out of the cars on the track and never had any issues.

I have the stock S6 airbox with a drop in K&N filter.
I have heard mixed reviews about the RS6 airbox, some have said it has better flow, some have said it is the same exact box with a few holes cut in the top for sound. lol

Anyone else have any facts, data or input on this?
I can say that one of the most important aspects of up sizing turbo's on any vehicle is accounting for the higher volume of air flow, both out and just as importantly in.

The RS7 turbos have larger intake diameters and the RS7 has a larger volume air intake system, as well as larger outputs.

Your 3” downpipes might be taking care of the output but by leaving the stock S6 intake in place you have an unbalanced system because that in-flow is restricted, with regard to your output.

I am not going to claim that is what blew your turbo but I would recommend researching this topic heavily and looking into changing your intake to a higher volume, if nothing more than for performance.

Heat, is another issue where the RS7’s are heavily modified to compensate for higher heat levels over an S6 engine. A lot of components were changed, modified and added to cool. I think mostly for the higher compression in the RS7 engine but I would be shocked if they have not modified the intercooler system as well so I would say you should really look into that aspect as well.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

I can say that one of the most important aspects of up sizing turbo's on any vehicle is accounting for the higher volume of air flow, both out and just as importantly in.

The RS7 turbos have larger intake diameters and the RS7 has a larger volume air intake system, as well as larger outputs.

Your 3” downpipes might be taking care of the output but by leaving the stock S6 intake in place you have an unbalanced system because that in-flow is restricted, with regard to your output.

I am not going to claim that is what blew your turbo but I would recommend researching this topic heavily and looking into changing your intake to a higher volume, if nothing more than for performance.

Heat, is another issue where the RS7’s are heavily modified to compensate for higher heat levels over an S6 engine. A lot of components were changed, modified and added to cool. I think mostly for the higher compression in the RS7 engine but I would be shocked if they have not modified the intercooler system as well so I would say you should really look into that aspect as well.
THIS...THANK YOU

Best advice I have had yet!

Russell
Old 08-03-2017, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I think a very wise post and altough unproven it holds a lot of possible true in it .
Yes i'm going for the russian 3" catless downpipes aswell (altough ceramic coated if heat is an issue). Yes a bit scared if the better flow out caused the failior of your turbine. If it was heat, shouldn't the 'hot side' turbine have failed instead of the cold (intake) one, in the end they spin at the same speed. Guess we will never know....too many unkowns, let's hope it was just something that would of happen regards of everything changed. Mind me asking how many miles/kilometers you had the turbo's?

Kinda trying to hold myself back from going any further then stage 2 tune with catless/non res milltek and definatly going for a bigger cooler (APR/AMS if i get a decent deal). Like i tried to figuer out, things get pretty hot down there, especially the turbo's!!! A 15 minute not so extreme driving gets them pretty glowing red . That was bit why i wanted to go catless in the hope heat doesn't get trapped too much by stock cats. Beside that and better charged cooler, not sure what can be done to cool things down.

No techn. but shouldn't the ECU prevent failers regarding your 'not up for the task intake volume' on stock S6 box. I suppose OP has a non stock airfilter? At least i have and recently put holes in the airbox (ala rs6), still a big unknown if that actually helps (warm extra air versus same single airfilter and stock inlet pipes)....

Never the less, thanks for your input . Let's hope things stay safe.

Personally, i would at least upgrade cooler first before going for other turbo's, but understand your situation (broken turbo and money pit).
Don't quote me, but i suppose it should be fine to run RS turbo's on current tune, i just wouldn't push it untill you upgraded cooler and had decent tune and if you tune it, keep it civil. 750hp+/+950nm are possible on stage 3 S6....but
Old 08-03-2017, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dasquade7
Mind me asking how many miles/kilometers you had the turbo's?
44,500 miles on everything.
2,000 miles on stage 1 tune
1,000 miles on stage 2 tune

I suppose OP has a non stock airfilter?
Yes, stock s6 box with K&N drop in filter

Never the less, thanks for your input . Let's hope things stay safe.
Thank you
Old 08-05-2017, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Update.
started the tear down tonight.

good thing I got 2 new turbos. Cause both of mine are screwed.

Both turbos are doneJust spent 3 hours diggin in to the S6 to start the turbo swap. P.S. I really hate skeeters.

Good thing I bought 2 new turbos.
I'm thinking my buddy Paul Gordon was spot on.
Looks like the drivers side turbo had a oil seal issue and was failing, the passenger one was working harder to pick up the slack.
Then when the passenger turbo shaft snapped and it **** it self, the peices flew upstream to the Air Charge Cooler, bounced off and back into the charge side of the drivers side turbo effing up the cold side turbine too.

The Air Charge Cooler (air to water intercooler) definitely saved my engine.

Now if I could only get the damn turbos out. I think I'm going to have to take the entire front end off just to get to 4 stupid daggon bolts.

Anyone done a turbo swap on a 4.0T, feel free to chime in.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

Was the oiled K/N filter keeping out the dirt?

Looks like the turbolady took revenge on you.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by m444

hahaha this is funny.

yeah, the K&N filter kept all the dirt out.
it was amazing just how much dirt was in the aitbox.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:49 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by m444

Wow. Blast from the past...lol

Quick Reply: Catastrophic failure of one of the turbos