S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

couple odd things....

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple odd things....

so i have the B&O stereo and just noticed that the center dash speaker seems to buzz once in a while - i can't pinpoint if it happens during certain frequencies or something else - has anyone else had this issue? if so, what was it and were you able to fix it? how difficult is it to remove the grill? i've recently fixed a bunch of buzzing home speakers i had and that was caused by deteriorated foam surrounds on the speaker cone, i suppose that could be it, but i'd think the buzzing would be more consistent, like i said it's just once in a while....and at lower volumes, but it's hard to tell at higher volumes as it may just drown it out.

the other thing is my key fob, 3/4 of the time when i try to start the car it tells me it can't recognize the key and i need to hold it up to that marked area on the center console - is this simply a fob battery issue? if not, what a PITA, might as well have a regular key - which brings me to another point, the other morning i was in a rush to drive my daughter down to the bus stop and as i had only had the car for a day or two, it was giving me that issue, being it was somewhat dark i couldn't find the area i needed to hold the key up to as the symbol is not illuminated, so i'm waving the key around everywhere, then decided to look for a key hole to manually start the car as my C6 had, and there isn't one! - is that crazy? (don't tell me there is one and i just didn't see it) what if the fob battery is dead and you don't have a spare key or battery, how does one start the car? car only came with one fob, so hopefully i can source a spare at a decent price
Old 10-02-2018, 12:01 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by VONBOTTLE
so i have the B&O stereo and just noticed that the center dash speaker seems to buzz once in a while - i can't pinpoint if it happens during certain frequencies or something else - has anyone else had this issue? if so, what was it and were you able to fix it? how difficult is it to remove the grill? i've recently fixed a bunch of buzzing home speakers i had and that was caused by deteriorated foam surrounds on the speaker cone, i suppose that could be it, but i'd think the buzzing would be more consistent, like i said it's just once in a while....and at lower volumes, but it's hard to tell at higher volumes as it may just drown it out.

the other thing is my key fob, 3/4 of the time when i try to start the car it tells me it can't recognize the key and i need to hold it up to that marked area on the center console - is this simply a fob battery issue? if not, what a PITA, might as well have a regular key - which brings me to another point, the other morning i was in a rush to drive my daughter down to the bus stop and as i had only had the car for a day or two, it was giving me that issue, being it was somewhat dark i couldn't find the area i needed to hold the key up to as the symbol is not illuminated, so i'm waving the key around everywhere, then decided to look for a key hole to manually start the car as my C6 had, and there isn't one! - is that crazy? (don't tell me there is one and i just didn't see it) what if the fob battery is dead and you don't have a spare key or battery, how does one start the car? car only came with one fob, so hopefully i can source a spare at a decent price
1. Center speaker buzzing seems to be a noted problem with some users before. Grille pops up with a plastic trim removal tool being careful, then a couple screws to take out the speaker. Some have had luck finding cheap alternatives to the stock speakers (Kenwood), otherwise it is online or dealer only for OE B&O replacement.

2. Key fob. The car tells you if the battery in the fob is low. May want to replace it just to be sure, but if that's not it then unfortunately might be a dealership visit.

3. There is no keyhole, as you found there is just a spot to hold the fob up to. Even if the battery is completely dead (the plastic valet/emergency key has no battery at all) it can still read the chip via proximity to allow you to start the car. You will not source a spare key at a decent price...dealer only as they are coded to the car.

Hopefully just your fob battery is dead from before you got the car and the car is no longer warning about it. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
1. Center speaker buzzing seems to be a noted problem with some users before. Grille pops up with a plastic trim removal tool being careful, then a couple screws to take out the speaker. Some have had luck finding cheap alternatives to the stock speakers (Kenwood), otherwise it is online or dealer only for OE B&O replacement.

2. Key fob. The car tells you if the battery in the fob is low. May want to replace it just to be sure, but if that's not it then unfortunately might be a dealership visit.

3. There is no keyhole, as you found there is just a spot to hold the fob up to. Even if the battery is completely dead (the plastic valet/emergency key has no battery at all) it can still read the chip via proximity to allow you to start the car. You will not source a spare key at a decent price...dealer only as they are coded to the car.

Hopefully just your fob battery is dead from before you got the car and the car is no longer warning about it. Good luck.
i haven't had any warning about a low battery, unless it's something i can check in the mmi? haven't had any issues with the car unlocking and the fob in my pocket, only when starting with fob in pocket....so, i don't know, if it persists i guess i'll just change the battery and see what happens. i don't think mine came with an emergency key, i'll look in the glovebox again, my wife's S4 has one but i believe you put it in the keyhole to start.....oh well, that's a relief anyway.

as for the speaker, i just sent an email to BO bitching about the buzzing speaker in this $6000 system, i'm sure i won't get anymore than a "sorry you're having a problem" response, but hey, worth a try. sounds like it's not too bad to replace, removing the grill sounds like the hardest part. wish i could find more info on the actual system (speaker sizes, etc.) though,

thanks for the input, we'll see what happens