S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

First-time Audi S6 Owner with some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First-time Audi S6 Owner with some questions.

Hello all. I'm extremely excited to have purchased my first S6 (2014). It's been a unbelievable car so far. Drives like a kitten when in Eco mode and turns savage when you get it into Dynamaic mode. I've really enjoyed this care so far. I bought it just out of warranty with 50,000 miles and have purchased an extended warranty for the next 4 years as I know any repair on this car will be rediculous. As a new owner, I was hoping to have some of the past and current S6 owners chime in on a few questions I have so far:

1. It seems that both my turbos were replaced under factory warranty around the 45k mark. Has anyone else had their turbos go bad around that same mileage? It seems quiote low to me and worries me a bit that maybe the previous owner drove it really hard? Can anyone comment on this issue? I hope that turbos only have a 50k life...

2. I'm in Tampa, FL and will probably take my care to Reeves Audi for all service but I did see a few other German specialty shops in teh area and was wondering if anyone in the area has used any of them and if so, are there any they woukld recommend over taking directly to Audi for work/service? Are indepdnednt shops typically cheaper on repairs and hourly rates charged?

3. I love everything about teh car so far but I wish it had a little more of an exhaust note. Are there chips you can buy to modulate or enhance the sound to give a little more edge or maybe a aliitle more burble when at idle and more sound upon hard accelrations? I don;t want it to sounf like a Mustang 5.0 but I definitely want to give it a little more attitude when driven hard.

Thank you for anyone willing to give me any pointers or direction on these questions. I'm hopefully looking to many fun years in this care !
Old 07-24-2018, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Was the car previously tuned? With a couple of blown turbos the odds are probably greater that this might be the case. As far as the exhaust note there are a lot of aftermarket options. I have the audi sports exhaust and think that it sounds just right. I'm on the conservative side though.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the info! On the first questuion, I don't think it was tuned one bit as every maintenance was done at an Audi dealership as the previous owner had AudiCare on the care. That's what really surprised me to see that both turbos had been replaced at 45k. I'm hoping they last longer the 45k on average! I'm more on the conservative side as well but I'd still like to hear a little more throaty exhaust note especially when driving the car more aggressively. Where would someone go to find the Audi sports exhaust for purchase? I assume that was aftermarket? Is there a way to alter the sound with some type of performance chip as well? Thanks again for the info!
Old 07-24-2018, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

it is not uncommon at all! google S6 blown turbos! there are A number of them. esp the early S6's
Old 07-24-2018, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by CHIO
it is not uncommon at all! google S6 blown turbos! there are A number of them. esp the early S6's
Common even on stock 4.0T S6/S7/S8 & RS7 car.

"Engine difficult to start, turbocharger damaged, V8 4.0TFSI"

Old 07-27-2018, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might not know if it had been tuned if the previous owner removed the tune prior to getting Audi care done and then put it back on after. It’s SOP to do this to avoid warranty TD1.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the info. It has been serviced at Audi dealerships for the first 50k as per the Service Advisor at the local Audi dealership. Wouldn;t it be hard to keep that hidden from the Audi dealership?
Old 07-28-2018, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not if the tune is removed prior to service. The prevailing wisdom is be prepared for the worst case. So go in with your eyes open if you tune
Old 07-29-2018, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the info! Not being a "tuner" myself, I'm not used to what some tuners might do. I plan on keeping this car stock except for the exception of louder exhaust and a performance chip. Fingers crossed there hasn't been anything doen to this car prior to my purchase! LOL
Old 08-05-2018, 11:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey new to Audi but not new to tuning. This performance chip that you are talking about is the same thing as a tune. It changes the way the engine works to achieve more horsepower. So essentially a performance chip and a tune are the same things.