S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbonator
People have been killed by police during traffic stops b/c the cop thought they were reaching for a gun.
Which is why I place both palms on the top of my steering wheel with fingers extended until the police officer is next to my window. Anything thereafter that requires movement on my part is preceded by a request for permission to make the movement. Not only does this allay the police officers concern for their safety, it plays into the power hungry bastards' need for deference. I was pulled over twice in four years while driving my '07 S6 and was let off with a warning both times. Eating crow saves money and this from a Phknlwyr.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

I havent run a front plate in almost 10 years. I just dont do it. I keep my plate in my trunk.

I got my first no-plate ticket a year ago and that was only because the officer decided not to give me a careless. So I use the no plate as a minor offense to get away with a possible major offense.

YMMV.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
I havent run a front plate in almost 10 years. I just dont do it. I keep my plate in my trunk.

I got my first no-plate ticket a year ago and that was only because the officer decided not to give me a careless. So I use the no plate as a minor offense to get away with a possible major offense.

YMMV.
Did it go on your insurance record? What state? Does anyone known of not running front plates in MA, NH, or CT will increase your insurance premium if you get a ticket?
Old 03-05-2013, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by tony7314
Did it go on your insurance record? What state? Does anyone known of not running front plates in MA, NH, or CT will increase your insurance premium if you get a ticket?
NJ and no issue on insurance. Just a $54 fixit ticket. I can deal with that every 10 years.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think it's just plain stupid to have front plate laws in some states. Unless a cop recognizes the inspection sticker, they have to see the back plate to determine if you should have one in front. I'm in PA so it doesn't affect me, but just bought a car from VA and now have four holes in my front bumper to cover up (but no plate holder to use in case I move)

Agree with some of the comments made though. Always putting your hands in view when you're stopped puts a cop more at ease and will usually get you some lenience. I've gotten away a few times with warnings because the cop said I was polite (and didn't give him some BS answer when asked why I was stopped).

I also don't sign my registration, and will be cited for that rather than a more serious infraction.

In the last two decades I've gotten one speeding ticket, one ticket for an unsigned registration (instead of doing 70 in a 40 zone), and one disobeying a traffic device (the speed limit sign, doing 80 in a 55 zone).
Old 03-05-2013, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One other thing...the discussion so far has been about getting pulled over while driving for no front plate. BUT, in NYC at least, one can also get ticketed by parking enforcement agents anytime you're parked on a public street.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I'm still at a loss for what I should do...Everyone has been very helpful though, I just don't know what I want to do. I agree 100% that the front plate truly ruins the look of the car from the front. I just don't want to be pulled over for it after a leaving a bar after having a couple drinks. Ugh. Imagine getting a DUI and not being able to drive my S6...I'm sure we can all agree that it's not worth the aesthetics THAT much. Just my .02
Old 03-05-2013, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hugojack
So I'm still at a loss for what I should do...Everyone has been very helpful though, I just don't know what I want to do. I agree 100% that the front plate truly ruins the look of the car from the front. I just don't want to be pulled over for it after a leaving a bar after having a couple drinks. Ugh. Imagine getting a DUI and not being able to drive my S6...I'm sure we can all agree that it's not worth the aesthetics THAT much. Just my .02
Not being able to drive your S6 is the least of your worries with a DUI. And if getting a front plate will put you more at ease about driving impaired, you do not deserve to drive any car, let alone a S6.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Phknlwyr
Not being able to drive your S6 is the least of your worries with a DUI. And if getting a front plate will put you more at ease about driving impaired, you do not deserve to drive any car, let alone a S6.
I would never drive drunk but you must be an angel sir. Ever have two drinks in an hour or two and drive your car?...You might have felt fine and most likely were FINE but could still get a DUI.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've never run a front plate in my last 5 years in CT, hasn't been an issue *knock on wood* My experience suggests CT is much less strict on no front plate than say NY or NJ.

Perhaps I've been lucky, so YMMV. Hugojack, where abouts CT are you located? I'm down in Fairfield county on most weekdays, perhaps the front plate thing is regional?

Quick Reply: Front License Plate