S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Less than a month away from my S6 order

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 04:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Less than a month away from my S6 order

I've been stalking this forum, youtube, and many other sources while I patiently awaited the time to make my 2014 S6 order. I have a few remaining questions but I'm tired of bothering my sales guy on the subject. Some of these questions have been partially answered in other threads but I would love to see further opinions. I'm in Saskatoon,SK,Canada in case that affects the answers. The S6 will be fully loaded. I think the only option on the online audi build and price that I'm not taking is rear air bags because of little ones and I think I'll stick with 19" wheels.
  1. Ceramic option - I haven't seen ceramic breaks as an option but I have seen people switching them out. Is there any reason it's not an option?
  2. Break-in period - I've seen some people saying to treat her gentle for the first while and others saying no drive it like you mean it. Some say that only applies to older vehicles. Any advice for a 2014?
  3. New car - I've never bought a brand new vehicle before. I'm assuming there's still some negotiating room off of MSRP but how much should I expect? I will be paying the full amount (no financing/lease).
  4. Service - Anybody have experience with Audi service in Saskatoon,SK?
  5. Dealer options - Based on subtle hints the dealer has some options that they try to up-sell such as paint protection. Advice?

Anything else I should be aware of when going to do the final negotiation?
Old 08-30-2013, 04:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hmm no edit thread button? I thought of one more question. I know UK and some US versions have google maps and so on due to a built in internet connection with wifi capabilities. The canadian version according to a few places don't even have the sim slot. Can the MMI still use the internet connection on a cell phone via bluetooth or something to get that capability or do we lose it completely? I love the idea of having things like google street view in the vehicle.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by awktane
Hmm no edit thread button? I thought of one more question. I know UK and some US versions have google maps and so on due to a built in internet connection with wifi capabilities. The canadian version according to a few places don't even have the sim slot. Can the MMI still use the internet connection on a cell phone via bluetooth or something to get that capability or do we lose it completely? I love the idea of having things like google street view in the vehicle.
From what my brother was told when he picked up his A6 a few months back, if you don't pay the $30/month with T-Mobile for the data connection, you won't get the Google functionality. I know, it sucks D:
Old 08-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This was an interesting read on that subject.

https://forums.audiworld.com/archive...t-2811591.html

I wonder if I should look into importing an S6 and try it with our carriers in Canada...
Old 08-31-2013, 01:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nope... not worth importing it!
Old 08-31-2013, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You may want to reconsider the airbag option. (Lest I forget my manners, the car sounds beautiful also.) Anyway, I have 3 small kids (oldest is 6) and I ordered the rear airbags.

The risk of airbags to kids is overstated, and relates to a lot of bad publicity in the late 1990's. This was primarily the result of first generation airbags, and the majority of fatalities occurred with kids who were unrestrained in the front seat. This is a good example of the media and consumer 'advocates' raising awareness to the point of harming their audience. With the current technology in use for side airbags, there are NO reported fatalities or serious injuries to kids as a result of the airbags.

I'm a surgeon and I deal with a good deal of trauma. As we (and some others) say: "It's not the speed that kills, it's the sudden deceleration." Airbags decrease the rate of deceleration. Therefore, unless there is a clearly documented threat from the airbag (such as a rear-facing carseat in the front passenger seat with an airbag), you have to understand that the more airbags you have between you and the action, the better.

Here is some more info:

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shop...act+Air+Bags#9

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/AB0707.pdf
Old 09-02-2013, 06:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Excellent information. Thank-you!
Old 09-02-2013, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by awktane
I've been stalking this forum, youtube, and many other sources while I patiently awaited the time to make my 2014 S6 order. I have a few remaining questions but I'm tired of bothering my sales guy on the subject.
  1. Ceramic option - I haven't seen ceramic breaks as an option but I have seen people switching them out. Is there any reason it's not an option?
  2. Break-in period - I've seen some people saying to treat her gentle for the first while and others saying no drive it like you mean it. Some say that only applies to older vehicles. Any advice for a 2014?
  3. New car - I've never bought a brand new vehicle before. I'm assuming there's still some negotiating room off of MSRP but how much should I expect? I will be paying the full amount (no financing/lease).
  4. Service - Anybody have experience with Audi service in Saskatoon,SK?
  5. Dealer options - Based on subtle hints the dealer has some options that they try to up-sell such as paint protection. Advice?
My 2 cents:

1. Audi (and most other brands) uses metallic brakes due to stopping power, particularly when cold. Ceramics work fine but car manf. feel customers would prefer less pedal pressure to stop. While brake dust from ceramics will be less, it can be reduced or made to be easier to clean in various ways.

2. Go by the Audi manual's recommendations. The manufacturer, after many years of research and testing should be in the best position to offer correct advice.

3. Difficult to answer. Location, competition, dealer allocation, desirability and even time of purchase vary widely from dealer to dealer. The gross profit margin on Audis is 7% on sticker plus freight. Try to get as close to invoice as possible. If you have a trade, make that a separate negotiation.

4. Sorry, I live a loooong way from Saskatoon.

5. Other than Audi Care (or it's Canadian equivalent), I'd advise to pass on ALL dealer options. You can do better elsewhere yourself on things like paint protection film, tint, etc. Extended warranties and such are simply insurance that you can decide on later. All of these are profit generators for the dealer (except Audi Care which provides a very small profit and has value to you if you plan on having the dealer do your scheduled maintenance).
Old 09-02-2013, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think OP was referring to expensive carbon ceramic brakes which are not available on the S6, because the S^ is not intended for the track. It's a great highway touring car, which won't benefit from $10,000 brakes.

If OP was referring to ceramic brake pads, well, there are no aftermarket pads available for this car yet, and when they do become available I will be installing them the following day. The brake dust generated by the S6 is worse than any other German car I've owned. I'll sacrifice 5% braking power for cleaner wheels.

As far as purchasing advice, get the auciclubna membership and get the 6% supplier discount. Unlikely to do better than that. Not every dealership will participate though, so do your homework.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank-you again for your answers. I was referring to ceramic brake pads because I've seen a number of complaints about the dust.

I suppose I can break the dealership options down a little further... I had a quote for an in stock A6 sent to me at one point where they had done a whole bunch of things to it.

Window tint - $300
3M Rock guard - $1095
Fabric/Leather protection - $599
Xzilon paint sealant - $599

Now it was my understanding that getting the paint protection film was not the best idea. I've heard that it yellows over time and when you do eventually remove it then any covered parts may be a slightly different colour because of the added uv protection. I've also heard that xpel ultimate was better.

I'd never heard of paint sealant for cars before. Google says it makes it so that you don't have to be as worried about waxing?

Fabric and leather protection well I can easily do that. My father in law runs an upholstery shop and has given me a few products that keep the leather in my current vehicle beautiful.

Window tint - that's not a horrible price. Could probably save $100 by bringing it somewhere else.

Quick Reply: Less than a month away from my S6 order