S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Pre Sense Braking out of control - to leave on or turn off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have encountered all the situations described above and have thought about turning it off since I tend to modulate my speed with a safe distance between cars.

Does the brake kick in when the visual alert (before the "you are way too close" chime) shows up, or only when it chimes?
Old 07-03-2013, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s5blitzer
I have encountered all the situations described above and have thought about turning it off since I tend to modulate my speed with a safe distance between cars.

Does the brake kick in when the visual alert (before the "you are way too close" chime) shows up, or only when it chimes?
It's surprised me pretty good both times the brakes engaged, so I'm not exactly sure which came first. I do get the red warning on the HUD occassionaly, but I've only heard the audible alert when the brakes have automatically engaged. Kind of defeats the purpose of having the chime if you ask me.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by s5blitzer

The sequence is red symbol first (frequently), then the chime (rarely), then the braking (very rarely), then the crash (hopefully never). Of course, not all will occur when you get too close. When these things seem to happen is dependent on the car's actual speed, closing speed, suddenness of a moving object appearing in front and distance.

The chime is spaced too close to the braking IMO. Braking only happened to me once in the last year and two or three times for the chime. The red symbol appears for me regularly when my closing speed and distance reaches a certain point.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The sequence is red symbol first (frequently), then the chime (rarely), then the braking (very rarely), then the crash (hopefully never). Of course, not all will occur when you get too close. When these things seem to happen is dependent on the car's actual speed, closing speed, suddenness of a moving object appearing in front and distance.

The chime is spaced too close to the braking IMO. Braking only happened to me once in the last year and two or three times for the chime. The red symbol appears for me regularly when my closing speed and distance reaches a certain point.
I agree the braking is spaced too close to the chime. One situation, the car in front of me decided to brake and turn (slowly) right into a gas station without using their turn indicator. I was pacing my distance by moving a little away to the left before the car in front SLOWLY completed their turn. Suddenly, the visual and audio alerts AND braking all came on at the same time. Under normal "driver control" situation, my moving to the left to pass the car in front would not have caused me to brake.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by S6Express
Man, Hyper. I thought you had hit the nail on the head. Got in the car this morning and surely knew my adaptive cc was going to be on the most agressive setting. It wasn't. It was on the farthest car length setting. I'll have to ask the dealer to look at the system, but I already know what they're going to say. The dreaded "can't duplicate symptoms".
You know what then? For S&G's try putting it in the sporty mode then. I think I gave the wrong description when I wrote the previous post(it has been a long week). The comfort setting is going to keep you the furthest distance from the car in front of you, the sporty is going to allow you the closest distance.

So the sporty setting is going to brake the latest. Now try that setting.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by HyperS4
You know what then? For S&G's try putting it in the sporty mode then. I think I gave the wrong description when I wrote the previous post(it has been a long week). The comfort setting is going to keep you the furthest distance from the car in front of you, the sporty is going to allow you the closest distance.

So the sporty setting is going to brake the latest. Now try that setting.

Hyper, I've not seen any documentation where the Presense Plus brake activation difference is directly linked to the ACC or ADS settings but I would welcome if someone could provide it for confirmation.

I've tested the ADS ACC driver Dynamic and Comfort settings and what I'm seeing is they seems to only adjust the speed at which the ACC causes the car to react to the following distance as set manually on the ACC stalk. Dynamic makes the ACC distance close faster and comfort causes the distance to close slower. I've discerned that only the setting on the ACC stalk adjusts the following distance. I've not noticed the red Presense Plus light come on any sooner or later based on the Dynamic/Comfort ADS ACC or ACC distance settings but again, I would imagine the documentation would explain it.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've had my car for 4 months and in that time it has applied the emergency brake 4 times - first time it scared the bejesus out of me and my wife. There was no other vehicle wirthin 50 yards of me, and it was moving at the same speed and same direction as me. We had no idea what happened, but wife read hand book and told me. We both thought a bird had flown across in front of us just before the brakes went on. Since then the car has applied the emergency brake three times, scaring three different passengers, and always when I am going round a Left hand bend (We drive on the left here in the UK) and another vehicle comes the other way, near the centre line - once it was a car, twice it was pedal cycles. In none of these cases was there any risk of a collision - except for a vehicle behind me rear-ending me! This is a poorly developed technology and needs much more testing before being "let loose in the wild"!
Old 08-11-2018, 02:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

That is not the way it's designed to work so obviously your car has a problem with the system. Get thee to a dealer.