S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

s owners: do you swap the summer tires in the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 04:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s owners: do you swap the summer tires in the winter?

I'm researching what my next car will be and one of the ones on my list to narrow down is an S6. I live in Washington DC and winters here aren't really bad but it snows occasionally. My commute is about 10 miles. Was curious how many owners here swap out the summer tires that I see are standard on the S.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Summer tires need heat for grip. Don't use them in the colder months.

If the roads in your area are mostly dry or plowed, switch over to all season tires for winter use. If you experience heavy snow storms, get a set of dedicated snow tires. Any snow tire is better than the best all season tire.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Is it possible to request all seasons in place of the summers if you don't want to hassle with the swapping of tires with the seasons? Seems cumbersome. I guess maybe if I don't want the hassle of the summer tires I shouldn't get an S but even the A6 with the s appearance package comes with summer tires if I'm not mistaken, no?
Old 06-21-2013, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by iamgort
Is it possible to request all seasons in place of the summers if you don't want to hassle with the swapping of tires with the seasons?
You could ask the dealer but it's not going to be cheap.

You could order the car with 20" wheels and keep them for summer use. Buy another set of 19" wheels for the other seasons.

You could order the car, take the summer tires off immediately and sell them. There are people on this forum that have summer tires for sale.

The S6 has a lot going for it - don't let the type of tires prevent you from buying one.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

I swap wheels/tires for summer/winter. It takes less than 1/2 hour to change wheels. Store them in my garage. Piece of cake. Definitely worth it twice a year. I couldn't imagine all-seasons or, even worse, summer tires in the winter. That's asking for a disaster.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As tenspeed and mik mentioned don't do the summer tires in the winter. They perform terribly in sub 45 degree weather, and are useless if there is any snow. Do a you tube search of summer tires in the snow.
Easy to change out summers for performance all seasons or winters in the late fall.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mik34
I swap wheels/tires for summer/winter. It takes less than 1/2 hour to change wheels. Store them in my garage. Piece of cake. Definitely worth it twice a year. I couldn't imagine all-seasons or, even worse, summer tires in the winter. That's asking for a disaster.
+1
Old 06-22-2013, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mwar99
+1
+2
Old 06-22-2013, 04:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the comments, all. Also, random thought, would be useful if the "cold weather package" included tires that would be acceptable in colder climates...

Off to do more research and drool over photos of everyone's cars in this forum.....
Old 06-22-2013, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iamgort
Thanks for the comments, all. Also, random thought, would be useful if the "cold weather package" included tires that would be acceptable in colder climates...

Off to do more research and drool over photos of everyone's cars in this forum.....
Then the cold weather package would probably increase in cost more than the price of winter tires and wheels you can get from somewhere else... I would rather have the climate specific tires vs an all season. Just my personal opinion.

Quick Reply: s owners: do you swap the summer tires in the winter?