S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

S6/S7 Winter Tire/Wheel Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S6/S7 Winter Tire/Wheel Question

I know there have been quite a few threads on winter tires/wheels for the S6/S7 but hoping for the group’s expertise on a few issues. My recently acquired 2016 S6 will be my first car where I intend to get dedicated winter tires (I have previously “made do” with Continental ExtremeContract DWS all-seasons on my cars). I’ve cross posted in the C7 S6 and S7 threads assuming that the answer is probably the same for both cars.
  1. Is it worthwhile to invest in a full set of tires and wheels for the winter or just get a set of tires and switch them out on the OEM wheels twice a year? For background, I have the OEM 20” titanium finish wheels on the car.
  2. If the recommendation is just tires, how much of a process is it to get the tires swapped out twice a year? I would assume that the whole package would need to be re-aligned and balanced after each transfer? Any thoughts on approximate cost?
  3. If the recommendation is to get both wheels and tires, any recommendations on good (but not terribly expensive) wheels? TireRack seems to have an extensive selection in 19” wheels (my preferred size for winter tires) but I don’t know the first thing about wheels. I am also assuming that there is little benefit to the Audi recommended winter combo package (7.5x19 ET33 alloys, 235/45 R19 Continental ContiWinterContacts) at $3200? Seems overpriced but thought I would ask if anyone knows of any unique benefits with this package.
  4. What equipment would you recommend to change out the tires/wheels on my own if I go with a full set of winter tires/wheels? I would assume it can be done with the standard tire change kit that comes with the car but I am sure there is a better way. I am also concerned about over-torqueing the bolts with just the standard tire iron.
  5. Finally, with respect to tires, TireRack and the threads seems split on Pirelli Sottozero 3 or Bridgestone Blizzaks. Any recent experience from the NE region from this past winter that might sway me one way or the other?

Thanks to all in advance.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by EmoryHockey22
Is it worthwhile to invest in a full set of tires and wheels for the winter or just get a set of tires and switch them out on the OEM wheels twice a year? For background, I have the OEM 20” titanium finish wheels on the car.

I'd strongly suggest a dedicated set of wheels and tires. Having tires unmounted, remounted, and the wheels rebalanced twice a year would be expensive, tedious, and possibly damage the tires long term.

If the recommendation is to get both wheels and tires, any recommendations on good (but not terribly expensive) wheels? TireRack seems to have an extensive selection in 19” wheels (my preferred size for winter tires) but I don’t know the first thing about wheels. I am also assuming that there is little benefit to the Audi recommended winter combo package (7.5x19 ET33 alloys, 235/45 R19 Continental ContiWinterContacts) at $3200? Seems overpriced but thought I would ask if anyone knows of any unique benefits with this package.
Shrug. I lean cheap for winter wheels; as for tires, whatever floats your boat. The price you quote is less than many of the combos I'm looking at, many of which are over $4K.

What equipment would you recommend to change out the tires/wheels on my own if I go with a full set of winter tires/wheels? I would assume it can be done with the standard tire change kit that comes with the car but I am sure there is a better way. I am also concerned about over-torqueing the bolts with just the standard tire iron.
You really don't want to use the stuff the car comes with as the jack, etc. are marginal at best in my experience. Here's the kit I use:
  1. A good quality, low profile jack from an auto supply store. By "low profile", I mean a jack that will fit under the body kit these S cars come with. REMEMBER TO SET TIRE CHANGE MODE IN THE MMI (Car Systems->Checks and Maintenance) so the air suspension doesn't get confused when you lift the car.
  2. A 1/2", 17mm, nylon coated socket so you won't scratch your wheels. I use the socket from
    this kit this kit
  3. A good quality torque wrench, nuts should be torqued to 90 lb/feet.
  4. A 1/2" breaker bar to get the wheel nuts loosened.
  5. These
    jack pucks jack pucks
    from Amazon.
  6. (Optional) These wheel installation studs from Science of Speed.
A few comments since it sounds as if you haven't changed wheels on your Audi before:
  • As a German car, the Audis use lug bolts rather than lug nuts. Once you remove the bolts the wheels will fall off. Be prepared for this.
  • Loosen the bolts with the breaker bar and 17mm nylon socket while the car is on the ground.USE THE JACK PUCKS. There are semicylindrical recesses at the jack points of the car these pucks fit into. If you try to jack the car with a normal jack without using these pucks you will DAMAGE THE CAR. (Ask me how I know this.) Of course the Audi jack will work on its own but it's a weedy little thing only suitable for emergency roadside use. IMO.
  • The Science of Speed wheel installation studs will make putting the wheels on much easier. You just hand screw two of them into two non-adjacent holes in the hub, and they locate and hold the wheel as you slip it on. Screw in the remaining three wheel bolts, remove the installation studs, then screw in the remaining two wheel bolts.
  • Medium-tighten the nuts while the car is in the air, then drop the car to the ground and use the torque wrench for the final tightening.

Finally, with respect to tires, TireRack and the threads seems split on Pirelli Sottozero 3 or Bridgestone Blizzaks. Any recent experience from the NE region from this past winter that might sway me one way or the other?
I use Sottozeros as the winter tires on my NSX, but only for the cold temp rubber compound. I've never driven the car in the snow or even the rain, so I can't comment on their performance...
Old 05-27-2018, 11:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by EmoryHockey22
I know there have been quite a few threads on winter tires/wheels for the S6/S7 but hoping for the group’s expertise on a few issues. My recently acquired 2016 S6 will be my first car where I intend to get dedicated winter tires (I have previously “made do” with Continental ExtremeContract DWS all-seasons on my cars). I’ve cross posted in the C7 S6 and S7 threads assuming that the answer is probably the same for both cars.
  1. Is it worthwhile to invest in a full set of tires and wheels for the winter or just get a set of tires and switch them out on the OEM wheels twice a year? For background, I have the OEM 20” titanium finish wheels on the car.
  2. If the recommendation is just tires, how much of a process is it to get the tires swapped out twice a year? I would assume that the whole package would need to be re-aligned and balanced after each transfer? Any thoughts on approximate cost?
  3. If the recommendation is to get both wheels and tires, any recommendations on good (but not terribly expensive) wheels? TireRack seems to have an extensive selection in 19” wheels (my preferred size for winter tires) but I don’t know the first thing about wheels. I am also assuming that there is little benefit to the Audi recommended winter combo package (7.5x19 ET33 alloys, 235/45 R19 Continental ContiWinterContacts) at $3200? Seems overpriced but thought I would ask if anyone knows of any unique benefits with this package.
  4. What equipment would you recommend to change out the tires/wheels on my own if I go with a full set of winter tires/wheels? I would assume it can be done with the standard tire change kit that comes with the car but I am sure there is a better way. I am also concerned about over-torqueing the bolts with just the standard tire iron.
  5. Finally, with respect to tires, TireRack and the threads seems split on Pirelli Sottozero 3 or Bridgestone Blizzaks. Any recent experience from the NE region from this past winter that might sway me one way or the other?

Thanks to all in advance.
So having to live in the frozen upper Midwest, I have a little bit of experience with winter tires. If you are planning on keeping your car for more than 3 years I definitely recommend investing in some dedicated wheels. It's only a $100 to swap rubber on the same wheels but as mentioned above the risk is high to damage the wheels. I have a set of TSWs on my S7 and one on my Stingray and they are both affordable and lighter than OEM. Some on the forums have had bad luck with them however as far as durability. Now whether to do Blizzak or Sottozero is up to you and I'd say see which is more affordable as the prices vary depending on the time of year and how much stock is left. I have had both tires and am comfortable recommending both. I have the Sottozeros on the Vette and Audi and had blizzaks on my old Honda and the wife's GLK. The Sottozeros are more performance oriented and may have a higher speed rating but I'm not sure so don't quote me. Also you're not gonna be doing 120 mph in the Winter on snowy icy roads so I would personally go with whichever is cheaper. As far as equipment, I have this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C5ZL0RU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C5ZL0RU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
although I've usually taken my cars to the local tire shop and have them swap the setups for free -since I'd purchased the set through them in the first place-. Hope this was helpful and good luck.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Here’s a post I did a couple of years ago. Have loved the setup ever since. I’ve used these winter wheels/tires in Wisconsin and in Denver. The roads in Colorado are WAY worse in the winter than anywhere I’ve ever lived (b/c of the temperature swings, lack of using real salt and bare minimum snow plowing). Everyone should have all wheel drive and snow tires here! I have scratched my winter wheels a bunch and am glad to have them vs scratching up my OEM wheels.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s7-...tires-2900619/
Old 06-09-2018, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks, all! Very helpful.