S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

Warranty for APR Tune

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty for APR Tune

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about getting a APR Stage 1 tune for my S7. I bought the car used from a mostly exotic car dealership and the original Audi warranty was already expired. The guy offered me a decent deal on a warranty that they get through a 3rd party so just to be safe I bought it. Now since this isnt a warranty directly from Audi would they still check for the TD1 and all that stuff and possible void my warranty?

Also I can cancel the warranty at anytime at a pro rated basis and get my money back for the remaining amount which I might consider doing if the warranty will void from the tune anyways.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have both the ECU Stage 1 tune and the TCU (transmission) tune on my 2018 A7, and together they're the best performance dollars I've ever spent. These software upgrades really transform the car. I'm quite glad I didn't pony up another $40K for the RS7 they had on the showroom floor.

(Even with the APR tunes, the S7 lacks the RS7's bigger turbos and improved cooling system. So don't think you're getting a cheap RS7. But you're getting PRETTY CLOSE.)

The warranty issue with APR tunes is sticky. My local dealer says they'd cover problems that weren't related to the tune. If, for example, my air conditioner crapped out, that's still covered. If I threw a rod, it wouldn't be covered. If the engine started throwing a bunch of codes, well...

But getting back to your question: third party warranties are about the sketchiest thing in the automotive world. Really. I'd never pay for one. I'd probably refuse one if offered for free. I think that even if whatever warranty you have is administered by a competent and honest company (hah!), they'd deny your claim in a hot second if they EVER found out you had a third party tune on the car.

My advice: I did a lot of research before getting my APR tune. They've been doing this for decades, Audis are overbuilt, and reports of problems traceable to the tune are vanishingly rare. Drop the third party warranty and use the money to get an APR Stage 1.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dramsey
I have both the ECU Stage 1 tune and the TCU (transmission) tune on my 2018 A7, and together they're the best performance dollars I've ever spent. These software upgrades really transform the car. I'm quite glad I didn't pony up another $40K for the RS7 they had on the showroom floor.

(Even with the APR tunes, the S7 lacks the RS7's bigger turbos and improved cooling system. So don't think you're getting a cheap RS7. But you're getting PRETTY CLOSE.)

The warranty issue with APR tunes is sticky. My local dealer says they'd cover problems that weren't related to the tune. If, for example, my air conditioner crapped out, that's still covered. If I threw a rod, it wouldn't be covered. If the engine started throwing a bunch of codes, well...

But getting back to your question: third party warranties are about the sketchiest thing in the automotive world. Really. I'd never pay for one. I'd probably refuse one if offered for free. I think that even if whatever warranty you have is administered by a competent and honest company (hah!), they'd deny your claim in a hot second if they EVER found out you had a third party tune on the car.

My advice: I did a lot of research before getting my APR tune. They've been doing this for decades, Audis are overbuilt, and reports of problems traceable to the tune are vanishingly rare. Drop the third party warranty and use the money to get an APR Stage 1.

how much did you pay for the tune?
Old 07-20-2018, 11:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You can check the prices on APR's web site-- here's the S7 section.

I paid $1,500 + a hundred or so for the "labor". I see the price has now dropped.