Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Audi A3 2.0T No Crank/Self

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 04:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A3 2.0T No Crank/Self

Hello, i have a 08 A3 2.0T, i parked the car and few hours later tried to start and it do not Crank, Ignition turns on and all the lights come on the dash but no Crank/self, any Help?
I did Scan with the Ross Tech VAG and the error is most of the control module do not respond
Old 09-21-2017, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AUDIALL
Hello, i have a 08 A3 2.0T, i parked the car and few hours later tried to start and it do not Crank, Ignition turns on and all the lights come on the dash but no Crank/self, any Help?
I did Scan with the Ross Tech VAG and the error is most of the control module do not respond
What year and how many miles?
Old 09-21-2017, 08:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

its a 2008 with 101K Miles on it.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Car has to be running to get the modules all online.

Is there any clicking when you turn the ignition?

If you know how to disconnect the battery, disconnect the red terminal and let the car sit for 30 mins then reconnect. While you're waiting test the battery or bring it to an auto shop and have it tested.

If it doesn't help and the battery passes voltage tests and the car still doesn't start, you'll need a mechanic probably - could be a number of things.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

There is no clicking noise, While cranking Starter is not responding (no click).
I have disconnected the +ve terminal of the battery for 30 minutes as suggested, still nothing, Battery is good and i even tried to jump the battery.
The only other thing i noticed is that i have two key FOBS and one of them is not responding (no lock or unlock).
Any other suggestion before i tow to a mechanic?
Old 09-24-2017, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

There is no clicking noise, While cranking Starter is not responding (no click).
I have disconnected the +ve terminal of the battery for 30 minutes as suggested, still nothing, Battery is good and i even tried to jump the battery.
The only other thing i noticed is that i have two key FOBS and one of them is not responding (no lock or unlock).
Any other suggestion before i tow to a mechanic?
You're beyond my ability now without being there - but the key not working could mean they need to be re-coded - and since you can't get vagcom running you'll need a mechanic to code the keys - if you have a physical key maybe try that.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Audiall, did the keys work before you to disconnected the battery? I should have mentioned the disconnecting the battery might de-sync your keys - I've only lost my key code when I've replaced the battery IN THE KEY FOB.

You should be able to re-sync the key code, its in your manual. It involves pressing the lock or unlock button ONCE, then using the key to manually lock the car, pull the key out and test with the UNLOCK button.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arU4ic
Audiall, did the keys work before you to disconnected the battery? I should have mentioned the disconnecting the battery might de-sync your keys - I've only lost my key code when I've replaced the battery IN THE KEY FOB.

You should be able to re-sync the key code, its in your manual. It involves pressing the lock or unlock button ONCE, then using the key to manually lock the car, pull the key out and test with the UNLOCK button.
Here is the procedure from the manual for re-syncing key:

The remote control key must be synchronized if the vehicle does not lock/unlock with the remote control.
... Press the remote control key LOCK button
.,. Insert the key in the driver's door lock within 30 seconds (page 33) .
.,. Press the LOCK button or UNLOCK button .
Old 09-26-2017, 01:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is one of those Twilight Zone / Extreme Left Field type questions; could your issue possibly be related to this issue?

Electronic immobilizer:
The immobilizer prevents unauthorized use of the vehicle. Under certain circumstances, the vehicle
may not be able to start if there is a key from a different vehicle manufacturer on the key chain.