Suspension Tuning Discussion Discussion forum for general topics regarding suspension tuning

'06 A6 Avant Adaptive suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 A6 Avant Adaptive suspension

I have a clunking over bumps from my right front especially when it is warm outside (+40). I have checked, and ruled out ball joints and sway bar links as the cause of the noises. My ESP, ABS and park brake malfunction lights come on after driving 15 minutes or so. My previous '97 A6 Avant had a blown RF shock and bad upper mount which made similar clunking noises (without the related dash warning lights). I have access to alldata, ELSA, and Ebahn technical information. All of those and my local dealer have been unable to provide me with answers to my question: Is the shock and or upper mount available separately for my car, either from Audi or in the aftermarket. I have hesitated removing the assembly just to get a good diagnosis as I would have to do so twice, the second time to replace the necessary parts. I am unwilling to take a $1,700. gamble to R & R just once by purchasing an assembly from
Audi. I do want to retain the adaptive suspension. Thanks, in advance, for any help you may send my way.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Did you ever figure this out? Mine does the same thing...

Originally Posted by porschetech
I have a clunking over bumps from my right front especially when it is warm outside (+40). I have checked, and ruled out ball joints and sway bar links as the cause of the noises. My ESP, ABS and park brake malfunction lights come on after driving 15 minutes or so. My previous '97 A6 Avant had a blown RF shock and bad upper mount which made similar clunking noises (without the related dash warning lights). I have access to alldata, ELSA, and Ebahn technical information. All of those and my local dealer have been unable to provide me with answers to my question: Is the shock and or upper mount available separately for my car, either from Audi or in the aftermarket. I have hesitated removing the assembly just to get a good diagnosis as I would have to do so twice, the second time to replace the necessary parts. I am unwilling to take a $1,700. gamble to R & R just once by purchasing an assembly from
Audi. I do want to retain the adaptive suspension. Thanks, in advance, for any help you may send my way.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Tee Dub,
Did I ever reply to you about your Audi front end clunking w/ dash lights?
If not I'm sorry this took so long, if I have then disregard this email!
My problems were 2: One was my ABS module which I sent to Module Masters in Moscow, ID for a rebuild. That solved all my dash light and no braking with cruise issues. They have done work for me in the past and are reasonable and thorough.
Two: The right front sway bar link was not tight enough.
I see you are in Victor, NY. I live in E. Irondequoit!
Kurt