Audi A3 TDI specific reviews, FAQ, and buying checklist

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 06:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A3 TDI specific reviews, FAQ, and buying checklist

Once MSRP and invoice prices are up I'll update the page. For now, here is what's known about the Audi A3 TDi.

An A3 TDI specific review, comparison to the Lexus small hybrid, buyer's checklist, and FAQ: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_h..._checklist.htm

My biggest complaint so far is that the A3 is cutting into the Jetta/Golf TDI. They only gave it the 140 hp TDI engine which is the same in the Jetta/Golf. The Jetta sportwagen is bigger, probably cheaper, and has a touchscreen nav. If they wanted the A3 to be special they should have given it the 170 Golf GTD engine but it's currently a Euro engine only.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Any clue as to how the newer 140hp (PS) 2.0l TDI increases its output to 170Hp (PS)? Larger injectors, etc? I recall <ST1</ST1when the Pumpe Duse 1.9l 90PS first came out, not to much later there were 110PS versions... 130PS ver. and so on... The 130PS Pumpe Duse was the roughest of them all.<O</O
<O</O
Audi <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com</st1:country-region><ST1USA</ST1 just may have the sane approach with it's initial A3 TDI offering and by that I mean merely replicating the VW 140 Hp 2.0 TDI w/DSG. The foot traffic in either dealership is largely different and there will be plenty enough marketing schmoose to differentiate the two; Cost level, warranty, body style, interior, brand ownership, etc.<O</O
<O</O

Like you, I’d cross shop the sheee-it out of the two for my dough. Mr. Audi dealership is going to be pretty insecure at first when selling the A3 TDI … many will make the “to short a deal” mistake at first.

I'm a big fan of the TDI as evidence by a daily driver. It's a MY06.5 Jetta TDI w/ DSG. ~ leather, memory seats/mirrors w/reverse dip, Super duper HVAC, Navi, Hi Fi stereo, MFD2 instrumentation, rain sense wipers, Homelink, Moon roof, Window sun shades, Illumination pkg., rear air bags, etc, etc. (added 17" GTI alloy's mit Michelins accompanied mit VW Germany spec lowered coil springs) Ordered that baby just before VW USA production went on the de-contenting tear of the decade. Nice little car - one of my favorites. A solid,, equipped with contempory features,, fun to drive,, Waaay understated VW car.. . . Oh yeah,,, not to mention 38+ MPG life time average; 65K miles.<O</O

Last edited by Schneideau; 08-02-2009 at 05:46 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My site is just TDIs, VW too, check it out.

The basic engine is the same. The US Jetta Cup cars got 170hp through tuning but the engines were not emissions legal.

The 140hp Euro TDI engine, 140hp US engine, and 170 hp Euro engine are all different from each other mechanically due to emissions equipment, tuning, and a few small differences such as injectors.

To get to 170hp the TDI Euro engine gets a different flywheel, exhaust, tuning, and turbo vs the 140hp Euro engine. It would be hard to put the tuning and turbo onto a US engine since there are also small differences in the injectors and such vs. Euro engines. It would be better to just tune the US 140hp engine. The only problem is how the emissions filters are going to hold up to increased soot and regeneration cycles.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Subscribed.

If they do it right*, an A3 TDI will be my next car.

*which i'm sure they wont. TDI, Quattro, Manual. Hell, I'd settle for quattro+tdi. Or at least TDI+MT.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeap, injectors are what came to mind; 140hp vs 170hp 2.0TDI versions. and the other neuances you've mentioned.

I too am looking for a vehicle which get's me back in the Audi ownership sphere. The A3 2.0 TDI could do it, although I must tell you a 2.0 TDI 170Hp quattro in an A4 body would have this buyer jumping in with both feet; a 2 Audi car purchase that is! Scheee-it,,, I'd also double down on the 3.0TDI A4 quattro version. "It's the Torque Stupid" to coin a phrase.

In Germany, my inlaw's Audi 3.0TDI A4 Kombi (sport XYZ... whatever model) with the 6sp manual is a hOOt to drive.. Audi USA if you'er listening,,,, Make my two A4 TDIs one a sedan and the other a Kombi, both with the 7sp DSG and quattro. And show me/us an options list we can use. Enough allready with the Carrot -n- Stick approuch to options. Gemme them all . . . .

Previous Audi's: MY96 UrS6 Avant - my dailey driver of 10 years and my wifes dailey driver a MY00 S4 sedan. Both ordered/optioned as new.

Last edited by Schneideau; 08-02-2009 at 05:51 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

After looking over the model data at www.myturbodiesel.com , I must say when considering the USA market, the newest chassis MY10 Golf TDI 4 door is going to smoke Audi's A3 TDI. The Golfs newer enhanced chassis, interior materials, queiter layout, new Navi, etc is going to kill the same ole A3 for 2010.

Pissst, Audi USA. you best not show up to a Gun slinger's show down with a knife.

Great site MTD.com Best of luck! I've subscribed.

Last edited by Schneideau; 07-02-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default A little lost with the A3 TDI...

Okay, so I currently have a 01 A6 2.7T and love it but want to go green and get an Audi TDI. I am really liking the A3 TDI, but everything I read states that it will most likely be FWD and not Quattro. Why???? What is the advantage in getting the A3 TDI FWD rather than a Jetta TDI or Jetta Wagon TDI??? The price is significantly higher and I know that Audi design is higher quality etc than VW, but is it really worth 10K more??? Anyone have info about Quattro even being an option on the 2010 A3 TDI?
Old 07-24-2009, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fineus82
Okay, so I currently have a 01 A6 2.7T and love it but want to go green and get an Audi TDI. I am really liking the A3 TDI, but everything I read states that it will most likely be FWD and not Quattro. Why???? What is the advantage in getting the A3 TDI FWD rather than a Jetta TDI or Jetta Wagon TDI??? The price is significantly higher and I know that Audi design is higher quality etc than VW, but is it really worth 10K more??? Anyone have info about Quattro even being an option on the 2010 A3 TDI?
Got info from a contact I have at Audi USA - Quattro will definitely NOT be an option on the 2010 A3 TDI, but if there is a strong interest shown, they would consider it for future model years. I mean they have the A3 TDI 2.0 Quattro in the UK - Common Audi!
Old 08-02-2009, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default A3 body style 2.0TDI w/quattro...some day maybe...

That Audi USA is taking a measured approach to the Diesel migration of their products is an understatement.

From a practical standpoint the torquey diesel when mated to the DSG FWD drive train is a struggle to launch in a wide variety of snow conditions. That said,, Quattro, 4 Matic, 4 Motion or whatever you call it I would think would be a welcome addition.<O</O
What level of “sales” will it take to include Audi’s signature Quattro identity in the A3 TDI line up? I dunno… sounds like BS to me. I will find it suspect providing Audi <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com</st1:country-region><ST1USA </ST1does not include an A3 TDI Quattro arrangement ASAP. (what ever the emission compliance cost.) Recall the "Lead, Never Follow" ad slogan? This question Audi USA should ask themselves. A 6sp Quattro TDI, DSG quattro TDI should be manditory inventory on a dealerships' lot. My .02

It’s tough going in the car manufacturing business no doubt… (as can be heard around the world "money doesn't grow on trees")<O</O

Last edited by Schneideau; 08-02-2009 at 07:12 AM.