Telematics Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

digital onstar upgrade possible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default digital onstar upgrade possible?

I have a 2004 a8 that has the analog version of onstar, I was told version 4. In order to use the verizon calling feature, you need the digital version 6 onstar hardware. Since audi no longer supports onstar, I was wondering how can I upgrade?

Talking to a supervisor at onstar, he said that if I had a GM car, it would be a simple hardware swap and FREE if I committed to 3 years of onstar.

I guess I could order the onstar version 6 hardware from a GM dealer, but I dont think any dealer would install it for me.

anyone have any advice/suggestions? Im in the LA area if that makes a difference. thanks in advance.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:40 PM

Default Re: digital onstar upgrade possible?

I work at the Onstar call center. We verify whether you can get the upgrade is by your VIN only. Your vehicle has the right generation hardware to get an upgrade but that doesn't mean Onstar will offer one. The Onstar in your vehicle would still function until December 31, 2007 however. Drop me a note if you have any other questions.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:05 PM

Default mtoddm- whats your contact info?

I can definately email you my vin. Again, I have version4. I was told that I needed to upgrade to version6. If I had a gm car that had version4, I could simply take it to a GM dealer and they would replace it to version 6 free of charge as long as I did a 3 year comittment.

Audi no longer supports on-star- thus my dealer can not get version6 ordered. So I would first need to get a hold of version6 somehow, then have someone (who knows audis) install it.

either way, if you tell me your email address I can email it to you. my email address is trojans@gmail.com.

thanks!
Old 02-27-2006, 10:44 AM

follow up - onstar not upgradable. our systems are analog
Old 03-08-2006, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a 2003 S8 with the same questions. Can I send you my VIN to see what I have? Can you tell version number from the VIN as well or does that come from the stealer?
Old 03-11-2006, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Working on this problem right now.....

Check the B6 S4 for pics and details....Also side note the biggest different between the two generations is the cell phone circuit board. One is analog only the new is analog & digital. The only snafu I see right now is the pinout from the new generation board is 28 pins, while the older generation is only 24. Once I get the pin out diagrams hopefully that minor change might be overcome with a harness adapter allowing the onstar to keep working. Have a few other ideas which dont involve onstar in the equation will see what happens.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:40 AM

good luck,
Old 05-22-2007, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Working on this problem right now.....

Hey man, I am also in the process of trying to figure out the whole OnStar analog to digital conversion thing. I think I can get my hands on a V.6 OnStar TCU, and think that knowing GM, and how they work, I would highly doubt that the onstar controllers would vary too widely from car to car. If the GM products from 2003 can get the update, then I am sure that with simple changes one of those units could be retrofitted into an Audi or other OnStar equipped vehicle. Let me know if we can chat some more about this, as I also have a friend with a 2003 Acura TL with OnStar that would be interested in progress in this area. My name is Aaron, and I am in So Cal. My email address is a r o o h k @ g m a i l.com

Thanks again, and I look forward to hearing from you. I also have a couple of really good electronics technical contacts, as well as a buddy whos father is one of the co owners of a So. Cal. Audi dealer!