TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

ABS Questions and more!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 03:12 PM
gio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Questions and more!

Hello, I've been away from these boards for a long time, but now that my computer has been fixed I'll be back more often.

First, some unusual problems I've been having...
Every once in a while the ABS light goes on. It will stay on until I turn the car off and even then if I start the engine right away, it will come back on. Usually if I let the car sit for 5 minutes or more it will not come back on (until some random point in the future). Somedays it comes on frequently, but most days it never comes on at all. Probably I see it go on once a week or so. When it does go on, though, the anti-lock brakes fail to work. I know this because the first time the light went on I was accelerating up a hill in snowy weather and I noticed the ABS didn't kick in when I tried to stop in the icy conditions. When the light isn't on, ABS works just fine.

Since this issue is so rare I haven't been able to catch it on my VAG tool, but I do plan on taking my computer around with me more often. Every time I turn the car off and go get my computer the light is off when I turn the engine on again, and I usually can't get it to go on again.

Also, I recently got my brakes replaced - all four rotors and rear brake pads. This problem existed before that was done though, and it still exists now. Anyone have any ideas as to what could be going on? My car is out of warranty, and even if I did take it to the dealer they would say there is nothing wrong because this problem is so infrequent.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:19 PM
gtt
AudiWorld Super User

Default it will show up on VAG-Com in the ABS group.....

since esp and abs use combined sensors it's probably one bad one. I've had a sensor fail, showed up with specific unit in vag-com and did also at dealership.
Old 05-02-2003, 04:51 PM

I had the same problem. It finally went solid. Taking it in Thursday.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:14 AM

Default Re: ABS Questions and more!

is the problem resolved? i have a similar situation but it started happening AFTER i had new rotors put in, took it to the dealer this AM and they're telling me no codes can be read off the VAG and i have to get a brand new abs system... which is crap