TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Anyone have their TB inspected? What was outcome?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have their TB inspected? What was outcome?
Old 09-23-2008, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hopefully no one thinks a TB inspection is worth spit, other than as a CYA for Audi.

Most of the time, a TB failure is caused by failure of a roller, the WP bearing, or the tensioner. The chances of an inspection catching one of these things are pretty small.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:36 PM

Some have, some haven't. Some were told to replace it, some were told it was fine...
Old 09-23-2008, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly......
Old 09-24-2008, 02:06 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oh, hey, I'm glad you're here.

Brandi (BBsTT) said you'd be the guy to ask this, since I didn't get much of a response when I posted.

I'm really interested in these HPA Haldex controllers. On the one hand, there's no doubt it "works" the Haldex clutch much more than the stock setup. On the other hand, these Haldex clutches appear to be quite strong, from what I can tell from searching the various forums.

You've been in the TT world for a long time, and are pretty technically inclined, per Brandi. What's your take on Haldex longevity? I'm not really worried about ability to handle a highly-modded engine, more the issue of "is this thing going to handle being 'on' all the time", as the HPA controller does its thing.

Any comments you have on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, had problems at 40k, ha...had it replaced at a fair price, now covered under....

105k mile warranty, with inspections every 40k.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default had the inspection

I have a 2001 225 with 63000 and a extended warranty. I had pondered letting the warranty deal with the possible failure.

I was pretty sure it needed to be replaced anyway, dealer replaced belt, water pump and rollers at a better price than normal, ($925) and I now have a warranty till 105k miles.

No talk of further inspections from the dealer.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It seems...>

that actual Mechanical failure rate is pretty low. I've seen a few pumps fail, but rarely the clutch pak. I was the first in the country to run the Blue controller (before it was Blue) and had no issues for a lot of years. The Blue Performance unit will make some nice subtle changes, moreso if you track the car. That said, I'm not a fan of the Orange controller.. It's an HPA Hack. Years prior to it's availability, Haldex actually worked pretty hard to get similar hacked units off the market. I think they've worked with HPA, But insist it be marketed as a Competition only. Their concern was one of safety in street application. I know of at least one guy who removed his for this reason...
Old 09-24-2008, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Expert

I think the point is that they are going to tell you to change it every 40k.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default The "competition" controller does not disengage under braking. This can be good for the track

as it helps you rotate the car.

This is bad in wet weather street driving, as it helps you rotate the car.

I might eventually get the blue controller (Haldex brand) as it provides track benefits without the safety issue.

In real world driving, the stock Haldex unit is always engaged to some degree. So I wouldn't expect a huge difference in wear and tear between stock and the blue Haldex controller.

Quick Reply: Anyone have their TB inspected? What was outcome?