TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Clinking noise comming from the suspension when braking wile in reverse. Anyone had that before?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clinking noise comming from the suspension when braking wile in reverse. Anyone had that before?

First of all, i noticed the car is WAAAY not as firm as it used to be in turns. When turning i can actually feel the HUUGE body-roll up front. ESPECIALLY ON HIGHWAY speeds or going on a ramp.

Now, i went to a local shop that specializes on Audi's. Chicago Performance Tunning, for those who know. I thought might be a tie-rod, bearing or something. No way. He said suspension is alright. He says the only way to go is change tie rods, get new springs, shocks, do an allignment, and since the car is going lower i will need new controll arms in the rear. Im around $1,800. Almost $2,000. I DONT THINK i need to change 1/2 of my chassis just because of that.

ANY indeas, Anyone? Please feel free for suggestions.

TIA

P.S. i should throw in a pic, i know you all love pix!!! ...me too... haha
Old 10-27-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Don't know about suspension issues but cluncking noise is common. Had it for years. Don't know what

it is but suspect movement in part of the suspensions somewhere.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Just do it.. Itll look better and drive better :D I already did it >>

Coilovers, kmac bushings, cpt adjustable arms, few alignments and its great!!
Old 10-27-2007, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Oh and BTW, i still hear clunking and crap
Old 10-27-2007, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Probably the culprit. Doing mine in 2 weeks. (along with everything else)

<ul><li><a href="http://ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi/?html=learnmore.html&amp;productID=5029">STRUT MOUNTS</a></li></ul>
Old 10-28-2007, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Found my clunk recently.

The strut bushings shift in the the shock towers as the McPherson strut rotates on its axis when the wheels are turned sharply. When the rubber bushing is under stress from the increased angle of the strut due to its non perpendicular orientation and the rotation of the steering, and when loading changes due to backing up and or braking------it shifts in its seat. "clunk"

I put my front end up on stands and rotated the wheels back and forth looking for slack or play. I found none but noticed that the bushings were dropped down out of their seats while the front wheels were off the ground. When I set it back down the strut bushings seemed to seat deeper than they had been . Possibly due to my rotating them back and forth looking for slack. The gap at the strut top retainer was wider. About 1/2 inch total. Guess what? No more clunk! It's been 2 weeks and so far so good. It may come back but at least now I know where it comes from. I won't worry about something failing at high speed anymore. Just a TT peculiarity. Now----- anyone know what makes that clunk under the trunk area when you stop at a light that sounds like a squirrel bumping his head against the trunk lid trying to get out? :-)
Old 10-29-2007, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tell me more about how you fixed this

I am having the same clunk issue -- happens when I turn sharply at low speeds (e.g. backing out of a parking space).

So it was just a matter of re-postioning the strut bushings -- just by pushing the struts around with the front end jacked up? Did you end up replacing the bushings?

BTW, the clunk from the rear is the sound of the metal exhaust/muffler expanding from the heat.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I took my car to CPT a few weeks ago for the same issue

Clunking noise coming from the front end, primarily when in reverse and turning. Al told me everything looks fine, they don't know where the clunk is coming from "so don't worry about it."

I don't like that answer since the clunk is annoying and a new sound that was not there 3 months ago.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Did you feel that the car doesnt handle that well anymore? I feel like my whole suspenion...

is about to fall apart!

"Dont worry" was the exact same answer i got. AND I TOO do NOT like it. I will keep my eyes open, and if i find the issue ill make sure to let you know via e-mail. Please let me know if you find out anything too.

Thanks
Old 10-29-2007, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default YEaaapp, hear the same sound from exhaust pipe... :(

damn it.

Quick Reply: Clinking noise comming from the suspension when braking wile in reverse. Anyone had that before?