TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

clutch malfunction question

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch malfunction question

Today, as I was coasting to a red light, I pressed my clutch to the floor and it didn't return. Basically the car was idling in neutral, stuck, clutch pedal resting comfortably on the carpet. Long story-short, Audi assist came and flat-bedded the car to Jack Daniels Audi in Fair Lawn, NJ.

This happened to me in December, and 5 days later I had a new clutch master cylinder installed under CPO warranty.

Today, after I left the car, 4 hours later, I spoke to the Service Manager, who mentioned that they couldn't find any fluid leaks, indicating that it might be the actual clutch plate or pressure plate- not the slave or master. He said he was telling me this to let me know it might be something NOT covered by warranty (i.e.- clutch).

I've never heard of a clutch being worn and then just "giving out" so it would leave the clutch pedal hanging loose. My experience is that when a clutch fails, first of it's never all-at-once like this case, it's usually a gradual slipping of the clutch plate against the engine/flywheel, until it just won't grip anymore. As far as MY clutch goes, it's felt just fine- no slippage, shifting had been normal, I don't abuse it, I drive at less than 7/10ths 95% of the time, mostly on the highway. Basically, my clutch leads a relatively sedate existence.

The previous time this happened, there also was no fluid leaking. In fact, the repair invoice states "Try bleeding system- no fluid came out at bleeder by trans- try sucking out fluid with bleeder- no fluid came out- no visible leaks- no blown clutch- clutch master on order!!! Replace clutch master cyl."

BTW, on both occasions, there was no fluid under the car at the scene of the stranding. Nor have i noticed anything leaking on my garage floor or driveway in the past weeks/months.

I think he might have been just trying to feel me out to see what he might be able to get away with, explaining that a clutch CAN possibly fail in such a way. I made casual mention of my DIY Audi-motive knowledge so he knew he wasn't dealing with some AutoMimbo so hopefully he'll think twice if he IS considering pulling a fast one. Am I being set up for non-covered repair, or is the SMgr being up front?
Old 09-06-2006, 04:36 PM

Default The clutch is hydraulic. Seems abnormal that it would just hit the floor. I could...

see if it was a cable driven clutch. But that's odd. I wonder if someone else will chime in with this experience.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If all they did last time was to replace the MC, then this time its' the Slave Cyl. They just don't

want to spend the time to pull the tranny.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:54 PM

Default Just as an aside, if they DO need to pull the tranny....

...which, BTW, the SMgr did mentioned he did NOT do last time, but if they do need to pull the tranny, should I authorize them to replace the clutch as long as they're in there? (assuming it's got, what, maybe another 20-25K miles on it? The car has 72K miles) How much should that little extra cost me if they've already got the tranny open to replace the slave cylinder? Since the rest of the job should be billed to Audi Assured warranty, what should I expect to pay to do the clutch?
Old 09-06-2006, 05:16 PM

Leak or air in the hydraulic system can cause it to do just that.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:25 PM

Default agree, it sounds like the slave cylinder...

they just dont want to pay for it. This has become an unfortunately common issue.