TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Just my luck -- damned it all -- rear window is broken; what are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just my luck -- damned it all -- rear window is broken; what are my options?

I had used the rear shelf for some storage over the weekend. I thought I took everything out of it. It turns out I left a thick book behind (it's so hard to see back there from the driver's seat). So, I decide to go for a quick open-air cruise, powered the roof down and... *POP*! I thought somebody threw a rock at me. But no... the damned window burst.

So we have these wonderful sensors to tell when the top is fully closed or fully retracted, but nothing to stop the movement upon sensing uneven stress on the frame. And upon close examination of the soft top, it seems quite clear that the window is a permanent fixture, rather than a detatchable unit--the whole thing will likely need replacing (thanks, Audi). And I just cleaned & retreated the fabric, so it was looking like new. Damned, damned, I'm so friggin' pissed at myself.

Has anyone here had their soft top replaced? What kind of expense am I looking at here? I suspect mods for the rest of this year are going to be OUT for me. >:-(
Old 09-05-2006, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Schwing has a source for cheaper replacement tops - track him down as I do not remember it

right now myself.... sorry to hear but I'ms ure you'll never do that again!
Old 09-05-2006, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I had it done under warranty and want to say the "bill" was around $1500. :^/
Old 09-05-2006, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ouch...These guys make nice tops...>>

All the Boxster guys go to this one when replacement time (Plastic window) rolls around. Very high quality from the reports and cheaper than OEM. A good trim shop could most likely install for far less than the dealer. Sorry about that Gary!<ul><li><a href="http://www.gahh.com/">http://www.gahh.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 09-05-2006, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

How did you get them to do it under warranty?
Old 09-05-2006, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks - I had seen these guys after doing some Internet searches

And also found this source which is a little bit cheaper:
<a href="http://www.convertibletopguys.com/cgi-local/displaycat.cgi?cat=1003" target="_blank">Convertible Top Guys</a>

I also found a listing on eBay for what appears to be the same top for only $399. They claim to be the same material as OEM.

I was hoping there might be some outfit out there that replaces just the window portion. I really think they could design these tops so that the rear window can be replaced... it's probably due to the need to make $$$.

Thanks for your advice, Steve.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I saw someone post about having severed rear defroster wires, but

it seems ridiculous not to just resolder them when considering the outrageous expense to replace the top.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default UPDATE: had to go with insurance. Here's why:

The real kicker is the labor. Apparently these things are no picnic, taking about 10-12 hours of labor. You really have to know what you're doing, so this is no DIY job.

Based on the complexity and hours, it ends up being around $600 to $800 labor. Best case scenario is $430 OEM top from an eBay seller and a $600 labor cost from a reasonable auto upholstery shop.

Therefore, these rear windows are like jewels. I'm hoping I can find some protective film that is optically correct (no distortion or fuzziness) and apply it on the outside as an added measure of protection.

Anyway, I'm out the deductible... but it's not too bad. Onto the next mod purchase. :-)