TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Concert II issues as swap for concert HU?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Concert II issues as swap for concert HU?

I have a 2000 180TTQ with Nav, Bose, and CD changer. The current head unit was fried presumably because of an alternator issue, or something. Perhaps it just died. Who knows. I checked the fuses and everthing is intact.

So I'm looking for a replacement. I've done much STFA here and would rather stay with an OEM solution if possible though with a blitzsafe (or similar) adaptor for my ipod.

I've found a few concert and concert II head units on ebay that seem relatively reasonable in price. I'm leaning toward a Concert II head unit with a built in CD player so when I lose my 6 disc changer for the blitzsafe install I won't lose all access to cds. I understand that I will also have to get a CAN-Bus adapter since the Concert IIs require integration with VAG-COM, but is there anything else I'm missing here? Will this work with my built-in NAV? the one I'm looking at (part num: 4B0 035 186H) should work with bose but I can't seem to find pin diagrams for concert II to compare with my concert HU to ensure I'm not going to have to get an adapter of some sort for NAV.

Anyone who's experienced this process and might offer some pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2010, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rfred
I have a 2000 180TTQ with Nav, Bose, and CD changer. The current head unit was fried presumably because of an alternator issue, or something. Perhaps it just died. Who knows. I checked the fuses and everthing is intact.

So I'm looking for a replacement. I've done much STFA here and would rather stay with an OEM solution if possible though with a blitzsafe (or similar) adaptor for my ipod.

I've found a few concert and concert II head units on ebay that seem relatively reasonable in price. I'm leaning toward a Concert II head unit with a built in CD player so when I lose my 6 disc changer for the blitzsafe install I won't lose all access to cds. I understand that I will also have to get a CAN-Bus adapter since the Concert IIs require integration with VAG-COM, but is there anything else I'm missing here? Will this work with my built-in NAV? the one I'm looking at (part num: 4B0 035 186H) should work with bose but I can't seem to find pin diagrams for concert II to compare with my concert HU to ensure I'm not going to have to get an adapter of some sort for NAV.

Anyone who's experienced this process and might offer some pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I don't think the CAN-bus adapter helps you, on the 2000 and 2001 the signals for the Concert I are hard wired, so the control for illumination and accessory is in the loom.

Canbus is different it send control signals from the cars computer to do things . Unfortunately there is no software running in the 2000 that will tell the Concert II what to do.

The only thing the CAN-bus adapter will do is allow you to talk to the concert II via VAG.com. The two common problems that seem to happen are no front panel illumination and you have to manually turn on the concert II and every hour it will turn itself off (like it does when you are sitting in the car with the key out).

If you can live with that I guess it's OK
Old 04-22-2010, 07:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiMick
I don't think the CAN-bus adapter helps you, on the 2000 and 2001 the signals for the Concert I are hard wired, so the control for illumination and accessory is in the loom.
Thanks for the clarification on this. I must have misread someone else's explanation.

Originally Posted by AudiMick
The two common problems that seem to happen are no front panel illumination and you have to manually turn on the concert II and every hour it will turn itself off (like it does when you are sitting in the car with the key out).

If you can live with that I guess it's OK
While most of my trips are indeed less than an hour, it feels like an inelegant solution and something that might bother me.

As a follow up question, are all concert 1 head units created equally? Do I need to find something that specifically supports bose, nav and the changer?
Old 04-23-2010, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rfred
Thanks for the clarification on this. I must have misread someone else's explanation.

While most of my trips are indeed less than an hour, it feels like an inelegant solution and something that might bother me.

As a follow up question, are all concert 1 head units created equally? Do I need to find something that specifically supports bose, nav and the changer?
I believe they are the same you will need to recode your unit to match the speaker configuration and to turn on Bose etc.

I have never worked with NAV on a TT so not sure how that works into the concert. Seems to be set via the front panel not Vag.com

This is a useful site.

http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audi/radios/radios.html

recoding is here.

http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audi/radios/concert.html