TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Coolant light went on??

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Coolant light went on??

Started the car... beeps at me, starts flashing, flashed for 20 seconds and turned off...???

That was on top of my retarted gas gauge that read 0 miles yeterday, i put ONE gallon in, this morning light was on with coolant light, then went off... said i had 75 miles til empty. 5 min drive to work gas light came on (30 miles to go) parked car.. light was off (40 miles remaining)

Not sure if they have anything to do with each other

Oh, and in the mornings after shes been sitting it cranks a few more times then normal, harder to start

TIA!
Old 08-25-2008, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The coolant level senders get dirty, and need to be cleaned periodically.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:23 AM
Rest In Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default test your battery and replace your temp sensor>>>

your battery could be showing signs of age and needing to be replaced...when at rest and after sitting overnight, check the voltage with a meter not the onboard OBD....should read more than 12.4 volts....anything less, and it is time to replace it
Old 08-25-2008, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ya, I'll do the temp sensor myself (even tho im CPO'd)>

did it on the A4 before i crashed it (literraly like 2k miles before)

I hope its not as much of a pain in the *** on the TT as it was on that car... it beat the hell out of my knuckles!
Old 08-25-2008, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A word of advice...

You can take this for what it's worth, and please don't think that I'm being condescending when I say this. Given the sheer volume of issues you've experienced with your TT to date, I believe it would be wise to have your 60k service done by a reputable shop rather than to perform it yourself. As your TT is still new to you, it can only benefit you to have a more experienced set of eyes on her an extended period of time. While the group here is an excellent sounding board, each of your symptoms as you've been describing them are somewhat vague and may be leading up to a more significant set of issues if left unchecked.

The reason my suggestion mainly focuses on the fact that as you'd just be following a list of duties to perform, having a competent shop (yes even the dealership) take care of the maintenance on your TT this time around will allow for a set of experienced eyes to give her the once over. While I realize that some of the quotes you've been given are pricey, they're worth the cost if it prevents you from experiencing more significant troubles for the upcoming winter driving season.

Again, not trying to be a jerk, just want you to have a good experience with your TT. Make good use of that CPO status!
Old 08-25-2008, 04:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default did you physically check the coolant level (when cold)?

Many places these cars can leak. I know many claim the sensor is the issue, but every time mine has done this, it's due to a low coolant issue. First time I had a leak at the water pump (at 57k), second time (around 90k) it was the plastic "crack pipe" at the back of the engine.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I'm going to second this suggestion. CPO is valuable when something big hits (like your

cluster, or timing belt destruction). The last thing you want to do is risk that status by saving a few dollars on some maintenance. If you have significant time/miles left on your CPO, find a place that you trust to do the required maintenance services, and DOCUMENT them being done. If left undocumented, you WILL have a fight on your hands if/when you need to count on your CPO insurance.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I only have 2 months left on it>

And I dont think i've had 'major' issues yet...

Cluster and now coolant light are the only things really..

I'll poke around to see what (if anything) is leaking and i'll check some of the temp sensor contats and might replace it

I planned on taking it in for the cluster and 'free TB inspection' i cant see them giving me problems with replacing the cluster for NOT doing a 60k service with them...

But feel free to give me suggestions. I appreciate it! (even if it is against my original thought)
Old 08-25-2008, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

thirded. might be a good investment.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It takes 5 minutes but don't forget to buy a new clip and o-ring with the sensor

Quick Reply: Coolant light went on??