TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

CV boot, joint, or axle assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV boot, joint, or axle assembly?

I've got some ticking sounds on the pass side that come and go. Does not do it when I turn but when driving straight or to the side. There is a slight tear in the CV boot to where some of the grease has come out and it's the outer pass side closest to the wheel. It's been that way for over four months now.

I've looked at the parts and it looks like I can replace the axle assembly (reman...I know) for just a little more than the cost of the inner and outer boots. I'd like to just do the boots but I don't want to get into it and then see that the are splines worn and have to do it all.

The sound very well might be something other than the CV area. It's not too loud and doesn't happen all the time. Bushings look ok but I've read the tech article about the anti sway bushing.

This is a ticking sound that gets faster as the car speeds up indicating that somethings screwed in the wheel area of the pass side. Again, it doesn't happen all the time. No popping sounds on turns.

How easy is it to replace the axle assembly? Special tools?

Could it be the bearing?