TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

drove a TT and Z3 yeasterday (very long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-1999, 04:12 AM
MSM

Default drove a TT and Z3 yeasterday (very long)

I figured the best way to compare the Z3 and the TT and Boxster was to drive them back to back. Boxster was not available but I did drive the BMW and Audi. While on paper these cars look very similar in real life they are very different.
I first set out in the TT. To my eyes the exterior is one of the most striking and pleasing on the road. This is only superceeded by the interior, which is truely a work of are. The aluminum circle theme is subtle yet striking. The fit and finish of the interior and exterior is flawless. Being the current owner of a 2.8 Avant QMS I didn't exspect the fit, finish and appointments to be that superior. But they were. On the rd the car handled like a dream and had razor sharp handling that I usually equate with an M3. No body roll. Precise tracking and a stiff suspension made the car an absolute joy.
There was one glaring shortcoming that kept me from buying it then and there and skipping the BMW dealership all togather. THE ENGINE. Yes it did have nice smooth power and tourque delevery but a pittifully small amount. When I mentioned this to the salesman he told me about the 225hp version that does 6.5 0-60. If I didn't mind waiting, which I dont.

After this I headed down the st. to the BMW dealer to drive a Z3 2.8 roadster. The Z3 exterior I find a classic work a automotive art. While the TT is more like a modern day masterpiece sculpture. The Z3 seemed to be classic and modern at the same time. Exterior lines were very alluring up close.
First thing I noticed on the Z3 was the interior. Fit, finish and appointments are not even in the same class as the TT. Alot of cheap plastic controles felt similar to my former Subaru Impreza. On the rd however the BMW surpassed the TT in several ways. First off the lowend speed and tourque were far superior due to the 6cyl engine. This was most noticable in gears 1-2. Acceleration through corners didn't require as much effort rowing the gears to keep the power up.
I was very much suprised however at the threshold in which dynamic stability controll kicked in. I took a rather brisk corner but nothing like I do in my Avant and saw the DSC light come on. I couldn't belive that a corner taken at that low of a velocity required a correction in the rear end.
Well needless to day I descided on neither. What I am really hoping is that Audi is following BMW's cue in the manner in which they release the TT engines. Remember that the Z3 was initally only available with that enimic 4cyl. Then came the 2.8 and them M power! I did drive an M coupe a while back and it was unbleivable. With that performance I could live with the cheap interior.
So first Audi has the 180 then the 225 which is supposed to yeild the same 0-60 as the BMW 2.8, both 6.5. Now for the big question. When is the S4 engine going to be offered in the TT. Would it fit in the engine bay? Seems if Audi wants a car to battle each of the Z3 models they are going to need something on par with the M Roadster.
My descion is 'till wait untill spring and check out the 225 Cab. I anxiously await, but am hoping I wont be disapointed.
One last thing the dealer gave me two brouchures. One is very long and rectangualr. The other is square with alot of circular holes cut into it. The square one shows Trapper yellow as an option. I love yellow and on a car this small I think it would be great. It looks like the standared pastel yellow that is offered on the Boxster, not the speed yellow which is similar to Imola (sp?) which are my favorite shades. I didn't get my Avant in yellow because the Cool Shades version was almost neon. And on a car that big I felt it would have been too much.
Anyone know if Trapper Yellow will be offered on the 225 version?
Mark
Old 10-10-1999, 07:21 AM
STTeve R

Default Remember reading that Trapper Yellow won't be produced (nt)

nt