TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Engine management warning light

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2002, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine management warning light

Hi - I'm new to posting on this site, although I've been reading posts on and off for about a year.

I have a problem at the moment with the engine management system warning light (a yellow/orange light in the speedo) that keeps coming on. Its been back to the dealer twice and twice they have said there is nothing wrong with the car. In my opinion the very least that can be wrong with the car is that the light is bust! Its going in again tomorrow so they can fix the classic window electrical problem that seems common, but the light is on again and I'm going to ask them about it again.

Any advice or people with similar problems?

Also I've just noticed this weekend that when I drive over speed bumps I get this horrible loud metallic creaking noise kinda like 'eeeeh awwww'. Difficult to isolate where it is coming from. I imagine that its something to do with the suspension - does this sound familiar?

The only reason I ask these questions is that I have had unbelievably bad service from my dealer, and I would like to go a little better prepared tomorrow so they can't fob me off. Its a shame as its such a fantastic car.

Thanks very much in advance for any help
Old 05-13-2002, 07:56 AM

Default Re: Engine management warning light

OK - reading some back posts a number of people mention:

a) the fuel cap - I'll double check this tonight
b) The DV valve - what is this ??????
Old 05-13-2002, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Engine management warning light

a check engine light will have associated DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) that a dealer's VAG tool can read, interpret, and clear. the actual values may or may not indicate the exact cause, but usually they give a clue. some dealers may need more clues than others, though... :-(

one popular possibility is that a defective DV (diverter valve, or as Audi calls it, "charge bypass valve") is producing the codes. if so, then there are usually no immediately serious consequences, but you may notice some common symptoms: a chuffing/fluttering/honking sound coming from under the hood on throttle lift-off during shifting while accelerating, and/or possibly a loss of power or surging behavior during shifting. if it's the DV, those are frequent failure items and easily replaced.

however, I'd avoid jumping to conclusions - it might be something else entirely. you could ask them for a listing of the trouble codes so the forum can help with diagnosis, but if you do, make it sound routine, not like you don't trust them to figure it out (maybe you don't, but you don't want to make them think that or they'll treat you even worse); just as them to report the codes on your paperwork.

if possible, you might want to try another dealer - if you say where you are, someone might be able to recommend one. good luck!
Old 05-13-2002, 08:01 AM

Default Re: fuel cap

make sure you always tighten it at least 3 clicks.
if someone else is doing it, maybe they aren't turning it enough (you know, they can't READ...?).
If I recall, the light may come on due to this, but is supposed to clear automatically after a few engine start cycles (after you tighten the cap properly).

also, please identify: 180 or 225 engine, what model year and mileage