TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

First gear getter— lateral shifter cable bell crank bushing.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts
Default First gear getter— lateral shifter cable bell crank bushing.

In recent months my shifter on the blue coupe got difficult to access first gear. I feared I had a cable failing or worse a shifter fork rivet failing inside the transmission. Luckily I found this video from Dieselgeek that described exactly what I was experiencing. I ordered it and installed it today. PERFECT! I do not think my shifter has ever been this tight. It is considerably better than the one in the red roadster despite having 100000 more miles. ( actually about as good as in my 15 year newer S5!) The OEM bushing is made of a fairly soft rubber. The Dieselgeek bushing is a harder nylon like plastic.
It took about an hour to remove the center console trim for access and replace. Expect to break a few tabs. 19 year old Audi plastic is brittle! Nothing a bit of clear silicone would not fix though.
Dieselgeek install video.

Here is another link to help with console trim removal.

Snoopy ready for a fall drive now! :-)
Old 10-18-2019, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did the same. My experience is similar. The first gear getter is a great product. I also picked up some of the other shifter parts from my local Volkswagen dealership, including the bushing that goes under the spring. Mine was torn and very yellowed. I got the large rubber / plastic piece that holds the ball near the bottom of the stick, as well as the rubber piece that the spring rests on on the left side of the shifter. I found it interesting that some of the parts I got from Volkswagen show as unavailable from Audi official parts channels. Apparently there are companies in Europe who are selling similar products to the first gear getter as well. I was just reading a Facebook post by somebody who put in a similar product: https://cbauto.co.uk/cookbot-gear-slop-bush
Old 11-11-2023, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Here we are four years later and I’ve got to replace the same bushing on my roadster. Dieselgeek kit ordered. Have a short length of plastic tubing in place of the disintegrated bell crank bushing now. Decent temporary fix. Not looking forward to removing the console. Roadster a bit more involved than a coupe. I’ll edit this with photos and results when done.
The following users liked this post:
erich_aux (11-12-2023)