TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Gas flap

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas flap

I have a 2001 Audi TT Quattro.. I have issues of auto windows not working, inside trunk latch won’t work, and gas flap won’t open.. previous said he changed the fuse but nothing.. if someone has any suggestions that would be great. Also, if inside gas flap does not how to I put gas in?
Old 03-03-2019, 04:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bigharrisfamily
I have a 2001 Audi TT Quattro.. I have issues of auto windows not working, inside trunk latch won’t work, and gas flap won’t open.. previous said he changed the fuse but nothing.. if someone has any suggestions that would be great. Also, if inside gas flap does not how to I put gas in?
For me this issue was related to the door latches and the arming of the alarm system.

My driver's side lock cylinder had been broken since I bought the car ~6 years ago. Even though I never used it (was able to program the key fob myself) it started to self-lock and arm the alarm by itself even if I had just unlocked the doors. When the cylinders and lock sensors get worn down the car can become confused about the lock/unlock state of the doors and won't let you unlock the trunk/gas flap. I solved this on my car by using the key to rotate the driver door lock cylinder just enough that it fixed the problem.

No power windows indicates a bad fuse on the alarm circuit or similar. You sure you checked the correct fuse (15 I think)? I used to have to manually pull that fuse because the doors would unlock but the alarm would stay armed, resulting in a beeping show that couldn't be shut off. That was really quite an inconvenience a few times...
Old 03-03-2019, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

For gas flap broken issue, see the owner's manual for the emergency access procedure. While you're at it, see the procedure for the rear hatch alternate release method.

With any car, always practice these items on a nice day when you're washing & waxing your car. When a failure occurs, it will be under crappy conditions and you will know what to do.

Other things are when power locks stop working, sunroof stuck open is another classic (does not apply to MK1 TT's).

Back to the fuel flap, if you don't have the owners manual, order one from a dealer now. There is a cable you pull on in the hatch below the fuel flap. Access it through the small "door" in the side wall.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you.. I have tried to manually insert the key into the door lock, but it didn’t work. I have checked the fuses and they all seem ok. Seems like the entire electronic system does not work, inside lights, convertible top, everything in center console including inside door lock, windows, the FOB... the inky thing I have is the cigarette lighter. Thanks for the info, I did find the manual trunk latch and the gas cap. Oh ya the button to put up the back window will put it up but only 1/3 of the way..
Old 03-04-2019, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

How is the battery in your car? A weak battery can cause all sorts of issues - like you are having.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It is a brand new battery just bought on 3-2-2019.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you.. I have tried to manually insert the key into the door lock, but it didn’t work. I have checked the fuses and they all seem ok. Seems like the entire electronic system does not work, inside lights, convertible top, everything in center console including inside door lock, windows, the FOB... the inky thing I have is the cigarette lighter. Thanks for the info, I did find the manual trunk latch and the gas cap. Oh ya the button to put up the back window will put it up but only 1/3 of the way..
Make sure you try both door lock cylinders. In my case the passenger one is still (mostly) good and works but the driver's side is broken. Either one can cause a problem. However I never had an issue with interior lights, so you may have some kind of short or perhaps a burnt out relay somewhere in the interior electronics circuit. But if the fuse isn't blown then that explanation wouldn't make sense...so at this juncture I'm really not sure.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It is a brand new battery just bought on 3-2-2019.
Also...did these issues start before or after you got the new battery?
Old 03-05-2019, 01:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This all started before the new battery was installed. Unfortunately my FOB will not turn the door lock in the passenger side. Have you ever heard of an issue with why my back window will only come up 1/3 of the way? We haven’t checked the relay, of course was hoping this was an easy fix.