TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Help, no electrical power at all on the 2000 TT

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help, no electrical power at all on the 2000 TT

Long story short, I drove to work just fine, and parked. Came out less that 6 hours later and the FOB didn't open the door. So I manually unlock it and no dome light. I turned the key and nothing. No crank, no dash light, no horn, etc. I didn't leave my headlights on, but even if I did I should have at least minimal light.

I had a friend jump me, but I didn't think it would work and it didn't. Still absolute zero in terms of any power at all, not even a dome light. Terminals are tight and clean, and the battery is from December. I'll check it out in the morning. Any suggestions? Not sure what could have happened. I did install a mirror camera directly to the battery last month, but it is a very slow drain. I start the car every day just fine.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Zap!
Long story short, I drove to work just fine, and parked. Came out less that 6 hours later and the FOB didn't open the door. So I manually unlock it and no dome light. I turned the key and nothing. No crank, no dash light, no horn, etc. I didn't leave my headlights on, but even if I did I should have at least minimal light.

I had a friend jump me, but I didn't think it would work and it didn't. Still absolute zero in terms of any power at all, not even a dome light. Terminals are tight and clean, and the battery is from December. I'll check it out in the morning. Any suggestions? Not sure what could have happened. I did install a mirror camera directly to the battery last month, but it is a very slow drain. I start the car every day just fine.
Simple troubleshooting techniques apply here. Did any lights come on while you attempted to jump start the car? If not, figure out why. What ground or positive cable from the battery corroded away or somehow broke? How do the fusible links above the battery look?

Troubleshoot and diagnose voltage from the battery to the starter and fuse/relay panel.

Good luck with it.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Simple troubleshooting techniques apply here. Did any lights come on while you attempted to jump start the car? If not, figure out why. What ground or positive cable from the battery corroded away or somehow broke? How do the fusible links above the battery look?

Troubleshoot and diagnose voltage from the battery to the starter and fuse/relay panel.

Good luck with it.
Thanks for the reply. Well I was a little surprised, but it turned out to be the battery, which was just replaced in December. Took it back to Autozone, and the guy was lazy. He charged it and said it was good. I get home and the voltage dropped to just 11.6 in an hour. The next morning it was 8.8, not even connected to the car. Went back to Autozone and they replaced it free of charge. So far, so good. Odd that a new battery died so quickly, but it happens. Perhaps connecting the dash cam directly to the battery fried it?
Old 03-05-2019, 02:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely not a good idea to connect any gear directly to the battery. These cars are especially sensitive to electrical energy drops.
Connect with a remote fuse and switch to ensure unit cannot draw any parasitic load.