TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Give it to me straight

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-1999, 05:36 AM
David Cook

Default Give it to me straight

All right, I am suddenly very concerned. I was already second guessing my decision to buy a 225 hp tt (Is it the"best" car I can get for what will be around 40k) when I read Jason Teller's comments in the TTq review. At 6'6" he could not own that car. I am 6'5". So I sent him an email and replied to the effect that the dash brace was torture after an hour or so in the car. I have driven the dealers testdriver twice and my friend's TTq once. I was aware of the brace and that it was against my leg as soon as I got in because I was worried about it. But the I forgot it. It comes close to hitting me in the same place as the center console in my A4 and that doesn't bother me. I think though, perhaps due to my driving euphoria, I ignored any discomfort to the point of not even remembering it was uncomfortable. Was it uncomfortable? Is it going to drive me to regret my decision if I buy this car. I have got to be comfortbale over the long haul. So, give it to me straight. There are a lot of nice cars for 40k and I want to get one that I will be happy in every minute of every drive for years to come. Any tall people with some insight? Thanks.
Old 10-07-1999, 05:48 AM
STTeve R

Default Tall AND wide (more)

The seats in the TT fit me like a ball in a glove...a little tight. I have a wide butt and the side bolsters tend to let me know they are there, occasionally. If I squirm a little bit, I get the most comfortable seating 'fit' and all is well. It takes seconds.
Re: the height, I am 6 ft. 3 in. and that side brace lets me know EVERY time I am in the car...in fact, that leg muscle feels bruised for days (I trade off between the TT and my Honda Accord depending upon where I go...no TT in college parking lot, for sure). Thought about going to an upholstery shop and asking what can be done to 'soften' the harshness of that brace.
Still think the TT is WAY above and beyond other cars in its class, price, and size. And heads still whiplash from Camaros, Vettes, Bimmers, Audi A4s, etc. Hope this reply is straight enough for you. ;-)
STTeve
Old 10-07-1999, 06:56 AM
Brett

Default A few things you can do...

If you need more headroom, you can net another inch if you take the seat springs out. I did this the first day I owned the car (only did it to the driver's seat). There is no noticable decrease in seat comfort and you could never tell it was lowered by just looking at it.

As for the annoying center braces, I took the plastic covers off and that helped a good bit. I think that it looks better without the plastic covers too.

I have stood next to Jason Teller and I can tell you that I have got him beat by at least an inch and a half. For me, the car stock is quite a squeeze but these two mods have made it tolerable. I have made several long trips in the car and have been comfortable. I little more headroom would be nice (sometimes I have to slouch when I'm at street lights to see them), as would a tad more legroom. However, if you're _only_ 6'5" I think you would fit fine if you did these two mods.

Brett

Old 10-07-1999, 06:58 AM
Mindarella

Default Re: Give it to me straight

I'm 6'3", 200 lbs. I am still waiting for my TT, but I have taken some fairly long test drives. The brace didn't bother me a bit; quite honestly I don't remember feeling it at all, just thinking it looked cool.
Old 10-07-1999, 08:10 AM
Carl

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere here that the brace is easily removed? (nt)
Old 10-07-1999, 10:39 AM
David Cook

Default Just to clarify

Thank you for all the responses. I am still baffled as to why Jason Teller felt this was a problem and no one else apparently does. Anyone, to clarify, I have no concern with the headroom. I am fine that way without even removing seat springs (yikes, that seems extreme). It is only the dash brace (aluminum bar with some casing/padding over it) digging into my leg which I am worried about. I don't want to take it out as I imagine it is not just there for aesthetics (rigidity likely). Thanks again for the info. Keep it coming if anyone else has an opinion.
Old 10-07-1999, 10:50 AM
Dan Morgan

I'm 6' but I have long legs and it does force your leg into a uncomfortable position, I have almost 8,000 miles on mine. I have taken the pad off the brace and put a seatbelt protector in it's place and it helpped a lot. I called Audi direct and they do not recommend removing the brace because it would effect the warranty. I also put a soft rubber ball that I covered in leather in the front cup holder and use it as a arm rest it works good. I do love the car, I had a Boxster before and I'm enjoying this more for less money and I get more looks, the other day two young guys in a fairly new 911 were asking me all kinds of questions. I hope this helps
Old 10-07-1999, 01:44 PM
M Lauterbach

I am 6'-3",185 and after 2 months of ownership have adjusted to the brace. I admit it bothered me at first and tried removing the pad but ended up keeping it in place. I think you'll find that like any new car there will be a few quirky things that seem to go away with time. I find everything else about the car comfortable for a "tall" person with the exception of seat height. I think I will try the seat spring suggestion.