TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

God the dog back! But had to turn him back into the shelter the next day>

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 07:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the cure for that is getting another one, a puppy if possible...

thats what i did with my wife after she lost her other dog. We now have a Yellow lab and its a great dog.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ya, i really think i'll go for a puppy>

they're a handful at the start, but learn to love

im not saying shelter dogs are BAD, but IMO, there is a REASON they are there... it is VERY sad they are there... but thats the sad truth

need a little time to get over it, one month but is more depressing then the year long gf relationship that ended last month :-P

Dogs are FAR better companions then girlfriends
Old 10-06-2008, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The pound here keeps the dog for five days. If nobody claims it, they euthanize it.

SC euthanized over 300,000 animals last year. Sure you don't want to go back and pick him up and try a little harder? I would NEVER drop off any pet at a shelter unless it was a no-kill shelter. Go back and get that dog and keep him on a leash.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you are being too judgemental...I had a dog like that since I was kid..it recently passed away..how?

Because it ran away in the middle of the night, and ended up dead in the lake in my backyard.

Some dogs are untrainable. I tried everything.
Tried to keep it indoors, it was a major headache, because she liked being outside all the time. So we had to keep it tied up. We tried electronic fences (did not work).

This dog was very very demanding. I put up with it because I loved my dog and had her since I was a kid (had her for 15 years!!!) but it is something I would never wish on someone.

I think Lefko made the right decision. Sometimes you have to walk in a person's shoes to understand certain things.

He obviously liked the dog. But if a dog always runs away an never listens, you waste a lot of time and energy trying to get it under control. Not for the faint at heart and even the toughest people shouldn't have to deal with this.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ya, and the LAST thing i wanted was that. i didnt want 5 years from now>

him to break lose and get hit by a car.

i would be crushed... if he's always a runner that scares me

thanks for understanding.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 253 Likes on 213 Posts
Default In all due respect. This post is off topic :-)

No harm but label appreciated
Old 10-06-2008, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With youth also comes the responsibility of learning hard lessons.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It IS a NO-kill shelter>

its an adoption shelter... they will NOT put it to sleep. I would NEVER drop him off at the 'shelter'
Old 10-06-2008, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default In my experience, there are no "bad" dogs, or cats, or birds, or horses. . .

and they never come "good" or "loyal" or "trained" or "obedient" or "smart" right out of the box. You have to invest some time and effort in training all animals, and in a way that they understand. Without proper training, any animal will "misbehave." Anger or punishment definately does not work and in many instances makes them behave even worse.

If you're not willing to invest the time and effort, then a dog or similar animal that need training may not be for you. All of my present and recent past animals have been ones that other people either abandoned or did not want. And they are all teriffic and well-behaved.

For dogs, this guy is great:<ul><li><a href="http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/tips/">Cesar Milan</a></li></ul>
Old 10-06-2008, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default that is relative though, the dog I had..already learned bad habits from previous owners and was not

a puppy.

Went to obedience school. Tried to use common techniques so that the dog knew right from wrong.

I would see improvement but I could not control the dog once the door opens. It would just bolt and run away. Tried to call her and she would look at me and turn around as if she said "whatever".

I didn't want to resort to anger on my pet so I had to be patient. I think the dog taught me a lot of patience.

This is why it is best to train the dog as early as possible and if the dog is in a shelter to find out the history with this dog so you know what you're getting into.

Quick Reply: God the dog back! But had to turn him back into the shelter the next day>