TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

God the dog back! But had to turn him back into the shelter the next day>

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But the next "owner" might.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:32 PM

Default except for the horses...

...more than one bad experience.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. If he makes it that far the next time...
Old 10-06-2008, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Yes, and like I said.. this is what scares me!>

i tolf them he needs a BIG yard to run in with BIG fences

And also someone ideally that works from home. needs attention 24/7

I dont think thats a bad thing that I'd rather him live in a PERFECT enviornment for him over living with me... not to sound self-absorbed but i think thats a good pet owner on my part
Old 10-06-2008, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Agreed> and yes, cesear millan is great, but its also TV>

im sure there are some he goes out to where he can't fix the dog... he can't have a 100% correction rate

hes amazing dont get me wrong, but not perfect (nor is every dog)
Old 10-06-2008, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default How long did you have the dog and what techniques did you use to train him?

BTW, I had heard of Cesar Milan before he got a TV show-- he has been known as an effective dog trainer since the 1990s. The point of his training is that it is usually the owner, and not the dog, that needs to change his behavior. The dog is just doing what comes natural. If you are a weak or ineffective or inconsistent leader, and the dog senses that (which it will), it will not feel that the "pack" (you and the dog) is secure, and will try to become the pack leader to fill the leadership void. You only establish yourself as a leader with a dog (and similar pack or herd animals) by acting as a leader, in ways they can understand.

It ain't rocket science, and it ain't just "TV." Rather, it's animal behavior. Your dog is (or was) no different, or more difficult, than any other dog.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Horses too--especially horses. . .

They are herd animals and also demand leadership, and will test you on an almost-daily basis. It's a survival instinct for them-- if the herd does not have a strong leader, it will not survive. They view humans as two-legged horses, and not in any position of leadership unless we earn it.

"Bad" horse behavior usually comes from fear or training techniques that have made the horse fear certain persons or actions. It's usually the result of a cycle of poor training-- horse does not respond, owner uses rough techniques to force horse to respond, horse begins to fear owner or techniques, bad behavior continues and even gets worse.

I'm no expert on horses, but with just a minimal knowledge of Pat Parelli's methods, I can control our horses in many instances without even touching them (such as by bending over at the waist or pointing in a certain direction), or with just a single finger. Also know of horses that have been desensitized to things that make them run away in fear (like turkeys or blowing plastic tarps) by techniques that help them confront the things that scare them on a regular basis. Yes, it does work, but also takes time and effort, and does not happen overnight.

Bottom line, animals take an investment to give you rewards. They are not like cars-- you can't just take them out and run them for a while and then put them back in the garage. If you want them to do what you want them to do, you have to be willing to spend the time and effort to understand them and train them.

And if that's too much of a burden, then I agree the OP should just get a fish.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:03 PM

Default this rings true...

my worst experience was in Yosemite, we had the last two horses of our pack coming off of a cliff trail. A rider dropped a pack, and the leader stopped to recover it - her horse threw her, she suffered a bloody concussion against a rock.

My horse bolted for the stable, my wife's after mine, screw the reins, hang the neck and duck the branches. Leader survived, no pants were wet, and we remember those horse's names to the day.

Beautiful animals but I need to show up earlier to the rides, get a better selection and read the rider's manual more closely
Old 10-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

God is not a dog's back.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Jesus Horatio Christos>>>

All you needed to do is take him to a competant training school/

I have a Borzoi that has had puppy training, family dog school, family dog II, SHARE school, and today she graduated from SHARE a Book class. She has two CGC Certificates and can visit hospitals, nursing homes, hospice facilities, and now schools and libraries for the local equivalent of R.E.A.D., the national reading assistance for children program for children with reading problems.

There are no dogs harder to train than sight hounds. Her sire is a champion in four countries and she is smarter than most people I know. She obeys my wife. She can slip her collar so she is always on a Sensation Harness when walked locally due to traffic, outside cats, skunks and coyotes. She has prey drive and will go for anything of interest, despite all the training. BTW, none of the classes were longer than 6 weeks and none cost more than $140 per class. She runs off leash at a fenced dog park or at Sea Drift at Stinson Beach where there is the Pacific on one side and a boulder riprap on the other side of the beach. She runs out about 200-300 feet, then turns to see where we are. My wife says: "Come, Lara" and she races back at 45 mph.

We also have a number of retired show cats who are indoors only. If they run, she thinks they are playing. If she chases, she gets a sharp "No" command, and stops. We bought her her own rescue kitten in May. He was in rescue with a Great Dane and is fearless of large dogs. They play, wrestle and sleep together without supervision because they like each other.

There are no dogs that cannot be bonded to people or other pets, IMO. There are only people who do not take the proper time to bond to dogs. Our dog goes with us to restaurants with outside tables, country inns that are dog-friendly, and she was even at the Sausalito Classic Car Show with us on Sunday. She attracts more attention than Shelby Cobras and Ferraris.

When we go on a fly vacation our dog goes to a 24/7 dog sitter who has a cat that Lara does not bother at all. The woman takes her everywhere, even on care visits because she assists elderly people who need to get out shopping or just for a lunch. Lara gets along with all people, young and old, and all other dogs, even the little nippy ones with Napoleon complexes that challenge her. It all took time and patience to get her where she is today. She was fully manageable by the time she was a year old. We got her when she was four months old. She was a veteran car rider right off. In the Jeep Liberty she gets the back seat. In my TTQC she sits on the passenger seat with her long front legs on the floor if I am taking her to the vet or a local restaurant. If my wife is along, Lara rests quietly on the back jump seat. Yes, there are rugs to cover the leather, and yes my car is spotless inside, no dog damage.

Simply put, fella, you did not put enough effort into learning how to train and keep that dog. IMO whether you get an adult dog or a puppy, until you learn about how to train and bond to one, you maybe should just get a stuffed animal toy.

Sorry for being blunt, but at my age it is hard to pass up telling it like I see it when something just was not right...