TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Is this a good deal what do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good deal what do I need?

I'm looking at a 2002 Silver Audi TT with red interior. 83,000 miles.

The interior and exterior are in great shape. What i'm worried about is the Car is at 83K without changing the timing belt so i would have to change that immediately upon purchase.

It is showing the check engine light and the owner does not know why he said it came on a few days ago. Also it says OK Service! on the front dash. The owner says its means you dont need to service it because it says OK on there but i'm pretty sure it means to take it to service. Here is the display in a picture. Also a couple of the LED display lines see to be dead horizontally.

I also noticed that the oil dipstick was a bit up and the circular handle broken off and since it was not properly screwed into the hole a bit of oil had squirted up to the inside of the hood. I also noticed some coolant in the back and the owner said he had to top it off a bit because it was a little low.

He wants 10,500 for the car.

One last point. He only has one key. How costly is it to purchase a key and have the dealer make a new one for a spare?
Attached Images  

Last edited by ImolaRed; 03-25-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:22 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, if it's an 02, silver with red interor it's an ALMS edition. Does it still ahve the 18" 9 spoke rims?

I have 88K on my TT right now. It's just getting broken in, but I would do the the timing belt ASAP.

Find someone local with a VAGCOM or have an independant VW/Audi shop pull the codes from it. Also have them give the car a good once over mechanically.

His coolant explination seems a bit fishy. I haven't had to put a drop of coolant in my car in the 4 years we've owned it.

The service reminder can be reset with a VAGCOM. Just an Oil change or milage reminder.

$10,500 is what an 02 ALMS Ed. would be worth in "good," condition if you were to trade it in at a dealership (I just looked up mine 2 weeks ago.) So the price is fair.

Last edited by 02ALMSTT; 03-26-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The CEL could be anything.

The service light was set manually and my indicate that service is due, but really doesn't mean anything

Reduce the cost buy 1000 to cover the cost of TB and general service.

You didn't mention Quattro. If it is, it's time to change the fluid and filter on the Haldex

Keys are not cheap, but with a little guidance, you should be able to program it yourself.

Good luck
Old 03-26-2009, 11:56 AM

Buy that car now! that is a great price for a ALMS. that mileage is not that high, pretty typical actually for a 2002. See if you can leverage into the price, getting the timing belt changed. It should cost 6-900 depending on the place doing the work. where is the car located?
Old 03-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Picked up the car it rocks and is in almost flawless shape. Ended up paying 10,000$$$$$!!!!!. Now my question is how do I know if the timing belt needs to be replaced or already has? The car was a repo but in perfect shape so I don't want to replace it if its already replaced but i'm probably going to if I cannot figure out if it has been or not based upon a visual.

Got a couple of questions. First off I see some weird parts floating around that were unscrewed so i'll post pictures of them later to find out what they are and where they go.

So I busted up the clip on the right side of the car behind the passenger seat where the First Aid Clip goes. I got every piece that popped out except the little spring i'm sure its somehwere in the back but I cant find it. Can I just replace the whole flip up lid?

I also see a light on the rear hatch lid that says Achtung. Not sure what it is but I can't get it to turn on.

I'll post pictures of all the issues I want to fix tomorrow when I get some time.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 1badz32
Buy that car now! that is a great price for a ALMS. that mileage is not that high, pretty typical actually for a 2002. See if you can leverage into the price, getting the timing belt changed. It should cost 6-900 depending on the place doing the work. where is the car located?

The car is in Houston. I got a buy told me if I bring the water pump and the timing belt he will do the labor for $600. Does that sound reasonable? I was going to get the timing belt kit on diesel geeks but not sure what waterpump to get any ideas?
Old 03-27-2009, 04:19 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yep, that's a fair price. You can buy the Deisel Geek kit with a water pump included (at least I did about a year ago.) Get the pump with the metal impeller, not plastic

So how about some pictures???
Old 03-27-2009, 04:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 02ALMSTT
yep, that's a fair price. You can buy the Deisel Geek kit with a water pump included (at least I did about a year ago.) Get the pump with the metal impeller, not plastic

So how about some pictures???
Its pouring down rain in Houston right now so I think that i'll have to wait a bit. This is the kit i was going to get.

http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=476 so that kit +600 labor is that a fair price?

I also have the light where it says passenger airbag next to the shift boot pushed in and popped inside there to where I can't get to it. Is there a way I can open that part out easily and fix that?
Old 03-27-2009, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Change the belt, tensioner and water pump. Period. Too many sob stories.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ordered the kit today from diesel geeks. Coming in the mail and going to take it to the mechanic as soon as it gets here.

Quick Reply: Is this a good deal what do I need?