TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Good morning! Here's the epilogue.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 05:20 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good morning! Here's the epilogue.....

It isn't the final chapter but it's close. I won't know for a couple of weeks whether or not I'll be staying in the case for the retrial. That decision isn't entirely up to me (I do have to answer to the partners on the letterhead).

It's nice to be able to sleep again. It's also nice to be able to enjoy the TT without having to listen to interrogation tapes on the Bose (yeah, I finally found a use for the tape deck)!<ul><li><a href="http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/">Epilogue (for now)</a></li></ul>
Old 08-28-2002, 05:56 AM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sounds as if the jury did not take it's duties seriously...

"Hopelessly deadlocked" after less than 1 day of deliberations? This jury sounded like they wanted to do little more than get the hell out of there!
Old 08-28-2002, 06:00 AM

Default Wow, this excerpt from that article says it all, in my opinion.

Early Tuesday afternoon, the jury came in for a second time and said they were unable to reach a verdict. At that point, defense attorney Mayer made a motion for a mistrial. Atlantic County First Assistant Prosecutor Murray Talasnik argued jurors should continue, noting that they hadn't deliberated even a full day - not enough time considering the seriousness of the case.

Defense attorney Mayer then called prosecutor Talasnik a "weenie" and an "assbag" and asked the judge again for a mistrial so he could go wash his Audi TT. "The car is filthy your honor, and this deadlocked jury isn't going to change their mind, so please let me get the Zaino and my orbital buffer out and polish the car."

"For this jury to throw up their hands after less than one day of deliberations and for the court to accept this should not occur, despite the fact that Mr. Mayers car is indeed filthy." Talasnik said. The judge agreed and the jurors went back to deliberate for a couple more hours before coming in a third time to say they simply couldn't reach a verdict on the highest charges.
Old 08-28-2002, 06:13 AM
Elder Member

LOL! Now THAT'S good press!
Old 08-28-2002, 06:14 AM

LOL!
Old 08-28-2002, 06:41 AM
Elder Member

Default Here's the full story on that:

The jury started deliberations on Thursday morning and continued throughout the day with only one short recharge. At the end of the day, they requested the playback (video courtroom) of some testimony but that wasn't done until Monday. After watching the playbacks, they continued to deliberate until near the end of the day then sent out a note saying they were deadlocked. The judge (with our agreement) sent them back to continue deliberations. About an hour later, they told us that neither side was moving and that they couldn't reach a verdict.

Despite that second note, we agreed again to have the judge send them back for more deliberations. They spent all day yesterday deliberating before telling us that they were hopelessly deadlocked.

I have seen well over a hundred juries and can say that these people took their oath seriously. They were visably frustrated upon being excused and t was clear that they had argued forcefully against one another. A persons life was at stake and they understood that - they understood that and they understood their duties, duties which they excercised as best as they could.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Tough case Joel...

Sounds like you did your end of the process proud. Now get some sleep ;-)
Old 08-28-2002, 12:12 PM
Elder Member

Thanks Bob. Scotch.... then sleep!
Old 08-28-2002, 12:19 PM

Default a legal question... why wasn't everyone involved charged with felony murder?

since there was a conspiracy to commit aggravated assault (aggravated assault is a felony in most states) and the commission of this aggravated assault resulted in a death, wouldn't all of them be guilty of felony murder without having to prove who actually delivered the fatal blow?